Pelton now called Dean of the College

At the beginning of Winter term, College President James Freedman changed Lee Pelton's position from Dean of Students to Dean of the College.

The change comes just three years after Freedman abandoned the traditional title of Dean of the College following Ed Shanahan's resignation from the position.

"Initially [Freedman] believed the title 'dean of students' would work at Dartmouth," College Spokesman Alex Huppe said. "After a few years of experience he realized the traditional Dartmouth title of dean of the College works best at the College."

Pelton said he was pleased Freedman decided to restore the old title of his office. Because the title is more general and does not concentrate solely on students, Pelton said it will allow him to direct more energy toward intellectual areas.

"It provides a different kind of focus for the person who holds the office," Pelton said. "It suggests ... the person who holds that office now holds the impregnata to speak out on College-wide issues."

Freedman said one reason he changed the position name was because Pelton's responsibilities extend beyond simple student issues.

His duties "include principles of community and the quality of intellectual life and the coordination of academic advising and support. Dean Pelton must have the authority to speak out on behalf of the College on important intellectual concerns," Freedman said.

There have been no changes in his duties since the title change, Pelton said, and those people who previously reported to him will continue to report to him.

Pelton said the new title should aid him in recruiting faculty to sit on committees and will make it easier to establish studies and reviews focusing on campus issues.

"There is some perceptual difference that I will find useful as I try to go about my work," he said.

Pelton said he was not sure why Freedman changed his title now.

"I think in part he felt now was an appropriate time," he said. "I've been here for two and a half years, and he knew my interests in furthering the core academic interests of the College."

Freedman said Pelton's contributions to the intellectual atmosphere influenced him to change the position.

"Lee Pelton has demonstrated in every possible way his value in our mutual efforts to strengthen the intellectual life at Dartmouth," Freedman said. "His special abilities caused me to re-examine the question of position title."