Pat Adams - exploring intimacy

Artist in residence Pat Adams is not just any abstractionist; she has utilized geometrics, specifically circles, in a way that evokes such intimate emotion and desire that you are immediately drawn into her intense spherical universe.

Adams will be at the College for the Winter term and currently has some unique work displayed in the Jaffe-Friede Gallery right before you reach the Hinamn boxes.

"I am a living example of what can be accomplished," Adams said. Adams has tried to capture the richness of differing qualities rather than ideas in her painting and has used a wide variety of materials and layering to represent a world of heightened reality and multiplicity.

"It is very important for students to ask questions. The need to know is urgent," she said.

While Adams will not be teaching any classes at the College, she will be available to students interested in speaking with her about painting.

Adams' favorite work in her current exhibit is "Ecce," painted in 1991. The double disk design forms a repetitive image on the 79" by 73" oil on linen painting.

"Sameness leading to difference is fascinating to me," she said.More than anything else her paintings explore intimacy. Relationships of color design and layers interlock to create an organic and tangible universe of assymetric texture.

Adams also referred to "Other," which she completed in 1986."I think of that painting a great deal," she said.

Adams will go to New York in February for the College Art Association meeting. She will be a panelist discussing traditions of art and its moral dimensions.

In April she will return to New York to open an exhibit of her work at the renowned Zabriskie Gallery.

Adams' exhibit is sponsored by the Nathan W. Pearson '32 and Sons Fund and will be shown until February 13. Take a good look if you can.