Hanover Police Chief dies

Hanover Police Chief Kurt Schimke suffered a heart attack at approximately 8:50 p.m. last night while playing basketball at Marion Cross Elementary School in Norwich, Vt. He was pronounced dead at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Hanover Police Sergeant Chris O'Connor said.

Schimke, age 41, served as Hanover's police chief for six years. He worked as a police officer in New Hampshire for 22 years.

"All of the members of this department are totally in shock," O'Connor said. "Our first concern is with his family."

Before coming to Hanover, Schimke served on the Fitzwilliam, N.H. Police Force for 15 years. He was police cheif for 10 of those years.

"We're very fortunate that he was the police chief of this community. He had an awareness of student life," Pelton said.

"I think his death is a great loss, for many of us a great personal loss."

Schimke took over Hanover's force after former chief James Collins died suddenly of a heart attack in January 1987.

"This is the second police chief this department has lost in the past seven years," O'Connor said.

Schimke's family could not be reached for comment. The Hanover Police department was unable to release any further information last night.