English Department seeks alternate FSP

Rumors that the English Department will propose a new foreign study program to replace the two-term London FSP cancelled last spring are premature.

The Department is currently seeking alternatives to their terminated program at University College in London and will meet this Spring to determine whether to establish a new one-term FSP in a different location.

In May 1993, a committee of College department chairs voted to cancel the program after the 1995-96 academic year, giving the English department time to find an alternative to the duration and location of the FSP.

"The department is considering several alternatives, one of which is to work out something with University College, but that is very unlikely," English Department Chair Louis Renza said.

Any changes in the existence of the English FSP will have to be approved in the spring by the Committee on Off-Campus Activities.

The current program faced criticism based on its length, organization, academic quality and cost.

After a standard review of the English FSP in 1992, COCA approved the program for an additional two years, rather than the usual four, to encourage the department to make alterations outlined in its recommendations.

"One of the problems we found was the FSP did not offer enough opportunities to study abroad in a department in which so many students were majoring," said Russian Professor Barry Scherr, who was the chair of COCA when it reviewed the English FSP.

Dean of Faculty James Wright said he expected a one-term program to be created because the main problem COCA found with the FSP was its length. other FSPs and Language Study Abroad programs span only one term each.

Supporters of the two-term program had countered that a longer program was necessary to truly appreciate the feeling of life in England through emphasis on English language, culture, and society. University College, the host school, originally required that the program last for more than one term.

English Professor Peter Travis, who led the English FSP in 1991-92, said he was "mostly unhappy" about any possible changes to the program's length. He wrote a defense of the FSP to COCA when it was under evaluation.

"In an ideal world, we would be able to learn more about another culture by spending more time in that country. But the problem was that the two-term program required the College to devote the resources that many students couldn't afford," Scherr said.

"The program was found to be unpopular on campus because proportionately fewer people apply for the 10 places available on the FSP," Assistant Dean of Faculty and Exchange Coordinator Peter Armstrong said. "But the spots are filled up every year."

The program does allow for more creativity, according to Demetra Navab '94.

"I was able to study only English literature during the time I was there, and that's what I wanted to do. In the English program on campus, you usually have little room for creativity because the topics are almost always assigned, but I had a great tutor and he allowed me to follow my interests," Navab said.

On the other hand, LaKellia Moore '94 had several problems with the organization of the FSP.

"I had a major conflict with my personal tutor which didn't help me to enjoy the program very much. Also because I'm a dual English and Government modified with Environmental Studies major, taking two terms abroad has forced me to take four classes every term in my senior year," Moore said.

Travis said the length of the program is necessary because it takes time to adapt not just to the country, but to the different pace and British system of tutorials and seminars.