Graduates living in dorms have much to offer

To the Editor:

I was disgusted by Ethan Ostrow's editorial, "Graduate students are not needed in dorms" (The Dartmouth, Nov. 18). If Ostrow had taken a few minutes to learn what the Graduate Students-in-Residence Program might be able to offer him, he might have found something you could use. Instead he subjects the Dartmouth community to an ill-informed, poorly-argued editorial that reflects an emotional, knee-jerk reaction.

In referring to the Graduate Students-in-Residence Program, Ostrow makes statements like: "Dartmouth has lost some of that celebrated collegiate ambiance," and "the benefits of such a plan exact the high price of changing the character of the school, and the change is not for the better... ."

What exactly did Dartmouth lose by implementing such a program? How has the character of the school changed? The program is only a few months old, and yet Ostrow would have us believe that Dartmouth is not what it used to be.

Before Ostrow decides whether the Graduate Students-in-Residence Program is "appropriate" for Dartmouth, he should check it out. Chris Vyhnal Graduate Student in Earth Sciences