Caracas ballet combines classic and modern dance

The Ballet Nacional de Caracas deftly moved from the classical to the modern in a visually and artistically captivating performance in Spaulding Auditorium last night.

Authentically rendering classical styles in compelling solos and duets in the first two sections, the performance took a sharp and bold turn in the final section presenting a contemporary Venezuelan backdrop with an unusual fusion of modern and traditional choreography.

Brilliantly donned in multi-color lycra and fluorescent capes, a core group of three men and four women started off the three part performance with the highly methodical and seemingly ill-suited excerpts of Handel's "Water Music" and "The Royal Fireworks."

Despite the stilted style and continual cadencing of Handel, the young dancers presented one flowing scene after another, interspersing solo dance numbers with provocative duets, commanding a high level of grace and elegance.

Set to the Viennese like music of Venezuelan composer, Teresa Carreno, in the second part, the initial group was joined by two more couples. Clad in five different sets of boldly colored costumes, the couples danced a series of extremely sensuous and mesmerizing duets, brilliantly staged by the renowned choreographer Vincent Nebrada.

In the final set, the entire cast came together in a modern ballet inspired by a poem by Elsa Claro, which expresses the needs joys and sorrows encountered in the pursuit of love.

In the contemporary Venezuelan setting which resembled a Dance Hall, the cast brought a stimulating taste of home to the ballet's final routine by dancing solos, in small groups and in full ensemble, to distinctive Spanish love songs and Jazz.

With dancers the as young as the average Dartmouth student, the Ballet Nacional de Caracas exhibited a truly talented accomplished cast in last nights performance, offering the audience a taste of various music and dance styles.