Women's soccer continues to win

It's beginning to look familiar.

The women's soccer team won another hard fought, down-to-the-wire battle and another freshman provided the heroics.

Three weeks ago the heroine was Jenna Kurowski '97, who scored to send the game against the nationally-ranked University of Connecticut into overtime. Last Wednesday it was Melissa McBean '97, who had the game-winning goal against the University of Vermont.

Saturday, Christina Hallenbeck '97 scored her first collegiate goal five minutes into overtime to help Dartmouth defeat Ivy rival Brown, 1-0, at Chase Field.

Brittanny Boulanger '95 made a perfect pass from the right side to the wide open Hallenbeck, who sent a well-placed shot into the corner past the diving Brown goalkeeper.

"Christina was in the perfect location," Boulanger said. "I was just about to shoot when I saw her running on, so I gave it to her and she made a great shot."

"It was an incredible cross from Brittanny," Hallenbeck said. "I just shot the ball far enough into the slot where the goalie couldn't get it."

Hallenbeck's goal provided a happy ending to what could have been a frustrating afternoon. After the opening 30 minutes of the game, which saw several good scoring chances for both teams, the Big Green turned up the pressure and dominated the rest of the way.

In the second half, the Big Green defense put the clamps on Brown's All-Ivy forward Mia Dammen and totally shut down the rest of the Bears' offense.

Dartmouth, on the other hand, had many excellent scoring opportunities in the second half, but could not convert. At the 69 minute mark, Brown goalkeeper Sarah Kelley made a terrific save, leaping to punch away Boulanger's shot from 20 yards out. Fifteen minutes later, McBean broke through, beat two defenders in the box, but her shot went right at Kelley.

With two minutes remaining, Dartmouth had its best chance of the game, when Kate Andrews '96 and McBean teamed up to shred Brown's defense with pinpoint passing. But McBean's close range shot hit a defender and no one could put the loose ball into the net.

"We felt like we were the better team," Boulanger said. "We just couldn't finish."

But Hallenbeck's goal changed that. Her shot sent Dartmouth to its sixth straight win and kept the Big Green undefeated in Ivy League action. It also gave Dartmouth only its second win ever over Brown, who now leads the series, 12-2-1.

"We knew that they'd be tough today," Hallenbeck said. "They're an aggressive team and if you hold the ball against them, you'll get pushed around. We had to play a one-touch, quick game."

The Dartmouth women travel to Boston College on Wednesday, but return home to face Princeton Sunday at 12 p.m. at Chase Field.