Women's Resource Center needs more space

As Dartmouth continues to increase in size and number, student space has become a growing problem. This, however, is not only a dilemma with respect to housing. It involves the more complex issue of providing space for social interaction among students in a non-Greek affiliated location.

Dartmouth has incredible sports facilities and student workshops. As a student here I feel very lucky to be part of such an amazing campus. I often must make myself stop and appreciate how fortunate I am to be here. But many times I do not know where to go and meet people. Hanover, though it is a beautiful New England town, is not a mecca for student hang outs.

Dartmouth is a college made up of so many self-motivated individuals. At times this creates a wonderful environment and at times it makes it difficult to talk to people other than by electronic mail. I have most heard this complaint from women, probably because I am a woman.

Many first-year women at Dartmouth express frustration about meeting upperclasswomen. Often women cite this desire to meet older women as a reason for participating in sorority rush. This is an unfortunate phenomenon which deserves more attention. There should be places other than sororities where women can meet and become friends.

Will Collis fulfill the need for a common neutral meeting ground? Will it be a place where all students can feel comfortable? Will it centralize more student activity so students from all areas of the College can meet without feeling like they are being invited into someone else's space? Will Collis be the alternative to the Greek system that the Administration hopes it will be? Will Friday Night Dance Club ever be a substitute for the lack of night time entertainment?

It is my opinion that students need a social space other than where they sleep to call their own: a place where they can go at any time and feel comfortable, a place where students can cook their own dinner, read a magazine, borrow a book, sack out on a comfy couch and watch TV or just talk to friends.

Fortunately a place like this does exist for women -- the Women's Resource Center. The problem is the space is very limited. Moreover, the small space is in the Choates. I don't know many people, aside from those assigned to reside there, who happen to pass by Bissell or Cohen Hall on a daily basis.

I have heard many women say, "I would like to go there, but it's so far away," or "I've been meaning to get down there." If you have ever felt that way, go. The Women's Resource Center is not a place where women go if they are suffering from some "female problem." There is no test for admission at the door nor judgment period for involvement.

What one will find there is a living room, kitchen, library and friendly faces. It is a wonderfully comfortable and supportive atmosphere. One can also engage in heated debates there and ask questions of others. One can seek understanding or help another to understand.

The Women's Resource Center is not a new idea. A small room in Collis housed the first Center in the early '80s. The demand for a larger space grew and eventually 6 Choate Road became the new location. Now, however, it is time for another move.

The Center is being utilized more every day. Last winter a group of '93 women started holding weekly informal dinners there every Wednesday night. Each week different people cook dishes ranging from veggie stir-fry to spaghetti to desserts as delicious as apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.

All women are welcome to join the Women's Coalition and it is a great way to meet others.

Women in the Wilderness also holds dinner there Sunday nights.

Ideally, the Center could exist in a centrally located house where women could hold meetings, have dinners, hold parties, study. Female singing and acting groups could use the Center for rehearsals and performances. Student art could be exhibited there. The possibilities are endless.