Male models bare all for $50 an hour

The classified ad in the back of this newspaper read, "Male Models needed for Medical School Course." But do not expect to find ruggedly handsome men strolling runways in the latest surgery fashions.

For $50 an hour, models are truly expected to devote their bodies -- at least for a few hours -- to science.

"They are simulated patients in the Physical Diagnosis course so that second-year med. students can learn the part of the [genital-urinary] exam that includes the abdominal, rectal and genital examinations," said Dr. Stephen Rous, a professor of surgery.

The exam, which the students may have to conduct when they become doctors, "is the male version of the pelvic exam," explained Erin White, an official at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

Applicants interested in modeling are invited to an orientation meeting where they view a video detailing the examination procedure. It is the same movie the medical students view for the class.

"Before they agree to do it, they watch a 25-minute video so that the models know exactly what the exams consist of," Rous said. "Some people after watching decide they are not interested."

One model, who asked to remain anonymous, described the movie as "extraordinarily graphic."

Those who remain interested can sign up for one of the seven spots after the meeting. The commitment is for six one-hour sessions. Men who have worked in the past have priority in filling the spaces, White said.

White said all seven spots are currently filled.

"There is a lot of response every year," White said. "There is not a problem filling the spots at $50 an hour."

"I am definitely doing it for the money," the model said.

The model first viewed the video with three others, who have since decided not to go through with the job.

"Two of them said no right off the bat," the model said. "One other hemmed and hawed and then pulled out."

The model said he too had second thoughts after seeing the trepidation of the other two men.

"At first I was uneasy, but then I thought that there is no other way for the students to learn, and my dignity is not going to be bruised because they are not going to know who I am," he said. "It is an exam, and they are students learning. It is not like a sexually-oriented session."

"What the med. students are doing is exactly what would be done for a good standard exam," Rous said.

Andy Atterbury '96 saw the ad and called the information number for more details.

"But I just heard about the rectal exam and that was that," Atterbury said. "I thought I would be put in some compromising positions. The $50 is not worth it. I did not want to whore myself out."