Fraternities welcome members

While some fraternities are reporting strong pledge classes after last week's rush activities, many houses have fewer new members this fall than last.

Final statistics for this term's rush class are not yet available, but leaders of the College's Interfraternity Council said this year's pledge class is strong.

Kenji Sugahara '95, rush chair for the IFC, said he was pleased with the rush results in general, but he said rush week was marred by the anti-Greek posters and slogans displayed around campus.

"It's okay to try to change someone's mind, but there is a set standard to go by which shows respect for other people," Sugahara said.

Alpha Delta fraternity was one of the houses that has a strong pledge class.

Approximately 70 students attended the preliminary rush parties for AD. The house returned 40 invitations, or bids, and 33 students accepted, or sunk, their bids. In comparison to last fall, AD was the only fraternity to display a significantly larger turnout, giving out more bids.

Psi Upsilon and Chi Gamma Epsilon each had 62 men rush. Psi U reported giving 36 bids with 27 sinks. Chi Gam offered 28 bids and 21 students sunk. John Merhige '94, president of Chi Gam, said rush "was great for us. We got a class which was the perfect size for what we were looking for."

Ryan McMillen '94, chair of Psi U's rush committee, said, "We have a strong '95 class and [this year's rush class] is on a par with it and maybe a little better."

Psi-U's bids reflected a rise from the 30 who joined the house last fall, but Chi Gam offered 12 fewer bids than last year.

Gamma Delta Chi reported 60 men rushing the house. The fraternity offered 24 bids and had 18 sinks.

Alpha Chi Alpha and Phi Delta Alpha showed similar results. Each had 50 students rush and offered 24 memberships. Phi Delt reported 19 sinks, while Alpha Chi had 18. Alpha Chi received 6 fewer sinks than last fall.

Beta Theta Pi gave out the largest number of bids this year. Beta, which had 54 men rush, gave out 49 bids and had 30 sinks.

Chi Heorot and Theta Delta Chi each had 45 men rush and gave 30 and 34 bids respectively. Each had 23 bids accepted. Theta Delt's numbers reflect a significant decrease in bids and sinks from last fall, when the house offered 38 bids and got 32 new members.

Zeta Psi had 43 men rush and gave out 22 bids. Fifteen bids were sunk and one student has already depledged. Zete's numbers are significantly lower than last fall, when prospective members sank 25 of the 26 bids Zete doled out.

Sigma Nu's results were similar to last year's, with 26 attending rush parties. The house gave 17 bids, 11 of which were sunk. Last year, 12 of their 18 bids were sunk. This year one student has already depledged.

Kappa Chi Kappa reported 18 men rushing this year and gave 11 of them bids. Eight of those 11 sank their bids. Kappa Chi President Steven Choi '94 said this year's pledge class is "very strong and will contribute to the long-standing traditions of our house."

Both Bones Gate and Sigma Phi Epsilon would not release their rush numbers.