Anti-Greeks waste energy

In response to the recent uproar of anti-Greek voices at Dartmouth, I feel compelled to appeal to the voice of reason. Words angrily scrawled in chalk across the campus silently scream about a system that excludes and promotes unruly conduct.

Signs reading, "Rush KKG, let us pick your friends for you," provincially package houses into unfounded stereotypes. These voices are bitter and incensed with the entire Greek system. But their complaints are better directed at the humans in general.

The Greek system is in many ways a reflection of the "real world." People naturally congregate in groups. Things such as country clubs, sports teams and even exploratory expeditions all must narrow down their numbers by a given criteria in order to function. In the same vein, Greek houses must choose a limited number of people in order to serve their purpose. If there weren't Greek houses, there would be cliques.

The Greek system outwardly illustrates a structure that exists in society but which is not defined. It is refreshing to see people be honest and outright about with whom they want in their group. If it's not said outwardly, you can be assured it will be an underlying factor in the groups that naturally form.

I fear the anti-Greek faction is operating under an illusion. They seem to believe campus life would greatly improve in the absence of the Greek system. They expended a great deal of energy strewing graffiti across our campus to make that point. They have wasted paper and time on nasty flyers that verbally assault the houses and encourage rushees not to rush. In fact, they have probably wasted away hours of time with their little flyers and sidewalk drawings, and surely they have had to meet to orchestrate the whole entourage, thus expending more useless time.

I encourage these people to reevaluate the economics of their undertaking. Is the opportunity cost of these efforts really worth it? Save the chalk for Halloween. If you honestly believe in your goal, it seems blatantly obvious that there are more productive ways to go about achieving it.

For example, you could join a house and work on changing it from the inside. Eric Goldfarb '94, a member of Alpha Delta fraternity, is doing his part by heading the programming board for his house, having already succeeded in bringing a number of cultural programs to the house.

Rachel Perri '94 of Sigma Delta sorority became the president of the Panhellenic Council because she was unhappy with the sorority system and was eager to make some major changes. As a result, she was instrumental in establishing yet another alternative sorority for women to join.

I myself, also a member of Sigma Delta, served on Panhel so that I could have some influence over the aspects of the system that I felt were destructive. I went on from there to represent Panhel on the Student Assembly where I was able further attend to my goals.

I am currently inactive in my sorority and do not go to fraternities except on rare occasions, although I actively participated in the Greek system during my first two years at Dartmouth. As a result, I feel that I am able to view the situation objectively.

I am also well aware of life outside of the Greek system on this campus. In fact, I don't particularly enjoy logging hours in grim basements, nor do I exactly like the fact that the houses are, for the most part, like any other club in the world, "for members only."

However, I sincerely enjoy the company of fraternity and sorority members and I have had some of my best times at Dartmouth at events organized by Greek houses. I would assume the majority of Dartmouth students would say the same.

Take the Greek system for what it's worth. As much as it probably pains those of you who are most opposed to the Greek system, there are indisputably a lot of positive aspects to it. The Greeks are involved in more community service than anyone else on campus. They are also close to being the soul providers of festivities for the simple celebration of life.

Of course there are negative aspects to them. Nothing is ever black or white.

Small groups are essential to the functionality of the universe. It's impossible, not to mention tiring, to love everyone. There's got to be some sort of process of elimination, or natural selection.

The Greek system formalizes a natural process. If it did not exist, the same groups of people would gather together under a different title. That is for certain.

If they are not your friends now, they still probably wouldn't be your friends in this fantastical future Dartmouth you envision. If you don't like the system as it exists, try changing it from the inside or work on promoting alternatives, but don't waste your time and don't waste chalk.

If you don't want to change it, or to work on providing attractive alternatives, live with it. The Greek system provides an extremely positive experience for many Dartmouth students. Take that into account. Don't try to ruin something that makes others happy simply to nurse the chip on your shoulder.

People are exclusive, people are unconventional and people aren't going to change. Find your niche.