Sudikoff nears finish

The new 16,000 square-foot Sudikoff Laboratory for the Computational Sciences will open around Thanksgiving, Director of College Planning Gordie DeWitt said.

The Sudikoff Labratory, located in the former Dartmouth-Hitchcock Mental Health Center on the corner of Maynard Street and College Street,will house both research and instructional laboratories for math and computer science course, and a study lounge.

Donald Johnson, co-chair of the math and computer science department said the building will provide state-of-the-art computer facilities and much-needed space for research and teaching.

"Sudikoff laboratory will provide first-rate facilities for computer science undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty. We expect to improve many of the things we do with the help of these new facilities," Johnson said.

There will only be one classroom in the new facility, but eventual plans include the addition of a classroom wing.

Renovations began in early March, 1993. Classes should start using the building by Winter term, and ceremonies will formally open the building in the spring, DeWitt said.

The laboratory will house ongoing research in parallel processing, robotics, and computer vision, fields that are currently explored in three mathmatics and computer science buildings, said Kenneth Bogart, the department's other co-chair.

The $5.1 million building was funded by a donation from the Kiewit Foundation and a $3.05 million donation from Jeffrey Sudikoff '77 and his wife Joyce.

Sudikoff is the chief executive officer of IDB Communications, the fourth largest global telecommunications carrier.

The Sudikoff labratory is an addition to the department of math and computer science, which also occupies Bradley and Gerry Halls, as well as Choate House and Raven House.