Safety precautions pay off

Surrounded by tree-lined mountains and a calm river, Hanover's rural, collegiate atmosphere provokes a very natural feeling of security deep inside all of us. But no matter where we live or go, safety should never be taken for granted. That is why we should raise our level of consciousness a little and learn to take more precautions.

A recent safety report issued to the Dean of Students Office said the College is considering installing a campus-wide electronic lock system. But in a survey conducted by The Dartmouth in March 1992, 95 percent of students polled said they did not want such a system. Eighty-two percent said Dartmouth provides enough safety for its students. It seems the majority of students do not want a security system that will intrude on our friendly, small-town openness.

But crime does occur. Last spring, a stranger entered a woman's unlocked dorm room and sexually assaulted her. This incident was the catalyst that prompted the College to seriously consider the electronic security system in the first place. A recent report from Safety and Security shows a total of 46 thefts took place during this past June alone. The total value of stolen items was estimated at $19,426.

So if we don't want an intrusive security system for whatever reason -- aesthetics or inconvenience -- then let us think about all the ways we can better take care of ourselves. Because let's face it, we do things everyday that make us vulnerable to crime.

We get up in the morning for class and we turn to close the door but we don't lock it. We stop by the Hop to get our mail and leave our bikes outside without locking them. We drop our backpacks off somewhere and come back for them hours later. Or we get so tired after a long day that we just fall asleep without locking our dorm rooms for the night.

But we should just think about how angry and how violated we would feel if anything were to happen. This mentality won't prevent all crime from occurring, but at least we could narrow the chances of it taking place.

We won't live in Hanover forever. Many neighborhoods out there are less safe. It's never too late to start practicing good habits.