Freedom demands more than feminism provides

The discussion of feminism in the academy and in the nation has generated quite a large body of scholarly literature. Most of it, like the body of literature surrounding afrocentrism, seeks out the hidden histories of women. Implied in this search for a historical memory is the notion that by knowing the past we can better understand the present and guide the future. This is a very reasonable and true notion.

However, instead of using this history to define women as unbounded except where they choose to be, it seems that the literature usually stops with the reconstruction of history. Where it does go farther, it seems to be interested solely in battling to limit the "sexist" behavior of men.

It is time for women to reconsider and perhaps reconstruct their concept of freedom to realize that freedom is not found in nor denied by the thoughts of men. Freedom can only be achieved by the spirit of the freedom seeker.

Equality does not ask to be excused for being black or having breasts. Equality does not ask to be included in spite of having wide hips or big lips. Equality is achieved when there is equal threat from everyone -- male and female. The equal cannot be concerned with, nor does she have to be concerned with, how others will perceive or treat her. Why? Because she is as powerful as any man or woman and could be "sexist" as well.

Freedom in the United States has been defined in negative terms: our entire body of law is made up of "Do nots." The only "Do" is the law which tells you to pay your taxes. We think of freedom as something to be limited instead of taken, obtained, or striven for.

This negative concept of freedom comes from the belief that those who have freedom will use their power to abuse us. Feminists, or more accurately, women, are well justified in believing this. For centuries, throughout the world's cultures, women have been abused as those with both freedom and power have exploited them.

After years of this exploitation, women decided to call this "violation of our humanity based upon gender and ease of exploitation," sexism.

In an equal situation, "sexism" would not be a word. There would be no violation based solely on gender. As "sexism" is merely a term for a more human dysfunction, in a state of equality, the human dysfunction would be clearly visible as a simple lack of respect for humanity.

Women must learn to see sexism for what it is. Your breasts or hips are not the problem. There is no need to make them less important or less in size- civilization could not exist without the difference. What is important is that you have the power to make that person who might not like you respect you. Is it called sexism when women treat other women badly? No. The real issue is clearly visible as insecurity or simple disrespect.

Eradication of "sexist" thoughts or practices should not be the goal.

The goal should be to obtain the power that will allow women to break, without a second thought, those boundaries set upon their freedom: various laws that are not in women's interest, and most insidiously, the behavior modification which women undertake themselves so as to make gender less important. Women must also be able to individually enforce the sanction that must result when they experience disregard for their humanity.

Feminism to date has done little to free women, but rather more to restrict men. Until it does more to free women, it will be half a movement. Boundaries can be broken with power, but restrictions cannot be enforced without power.