Pedestrian pathway planned for Mass Row

The College will close down permanently the road in front of the Massachussetts Row dormitories this fall, to add a pedestrian atmosphere planners hope to create between Thayer Dining Hall and the new Collis Student Center.

Treasurer Lyn Hutton announced the project in a letter sent to students earlier this week.

According to Assistant Director of Business Affairs Bill Barr, the road will be blocked at each end of the cluster in a fashion similar to the brick walkway outside Rockefeller Center, which is blocked from the street with posts.

On the pedestrian mall, Barr said, pavement will be replaced by grass on what is now sidewalk on one side of the street and parking on the other. The road itself will not be bricked over, an option that would be more costly, he said.

The road will be accessible for deliveries and handicapped parking, and might be opened at the start and end of each term when students are moving in and out, Barr further added.

Barr said the walkway could look the most striking to those entering by the path which runs between McNutt and Blunt from Main Street.

In order to compensate for the lost parking, the College plans to build a temporary parking area just south of Maynard street.

East-west traffic will continue through Sanborn Lane, the road which passes between Thayer and South Mass to Main Street. East-west traffic will also continue through the unnamed road which passes between Parkhurst and Blunt. Traffic will continue between Hitchcock and Blunt.

According to Barr, the College is currently deciding whether to start construction during Fall term or wait until the interim afterwards, when students would not be disturbed.