Learn to play summer music

The relaxing, slow-pace atmosphere of summer may inspire some restless students, faculty or administrators to try something new. An interesting avenue to turn to in such a scenario, may be the Music Department located in the back of the Hopkins Center.

The Department offers an assortment of instrument lessons, most of which have to be privately contracted. But if money is something you cannot afford to spare and you are still interested in exploring a new rhythm, you can sign up now for Music 16, which is non-Western drumming.

The instructor Hafiz Shabazz, takes beginners with no experience because the ability to read music is not required. If you sign up, expect to take the course for three terms to gain full credit.

Other private instructions are offered in jazz piano, classical piano, harpsichord/organ, clarinet, flute, bassoon, trombone, saxophone, oboe, trumpet, cello, electric or classical guitar, double bass, voice and percussion. Arrangements need to be made with the instructors. A list of names and phone number can be obtained from Suki Sodhi in the music department at 646-3531.

During the rest of the school year, students can audition for classes and if accepted, lessons can be taken as a course.