Beat the heat: underwater hotspots

It's sunny, hot, humid and sticky. You drip with sweat and smell like you've just finished an All-Star basketball game; instead, you're in New England in the midst of a heat wave.

As your brow drips with sweat and your body pulsates with excess heat, you dream about swimming.

The obvious first choice is the Connecticut River. This outdoor body magnet is a sure place to cool off during the hottest times of the year, or warm up, depending upon who is sharing the dock with you!

It is a river, however, so don't forget the current. Lifeguards are on duty and a swimming area is roped off for students' safety. However, as campus police are fond of reminding us, swimming is not allowed at night, despite the few brave souls who risk tangling with the po' and the cold night water in the buck. The dock is open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.

In case you haven't heard, there is also a rope swing a little further towards town on the New Hampshire side of the River. Reminiscent of Mountain Dew commercials, the rope swing can be a great spot for the more adventurous swimmer. As the rope swing is a rope, clothing is advisable.

If you would rather avoid the campus crowds, you can always search out your own favorite spot to cool down, but cars are vital to the search.

A reasonable starting point for your search could be The Green Pages which lists some of the prime spots in the area for icy cool-downs or gentle, soothing cool baths.

One option is Storr's Pond, if you don't mind Hanover crowds. It is a recreation area, with a swimming pool, a pond, tennis and basketball courts, snack bars, hiking trails and a sandy beach. There is an entrance fee, but it is within reasonable walking distance of campus and is the closest thing to a real beach this side of the Atlantic.

To reach Storr's Pond, simply drive north on Route 10 and take a right before Pat & Tony's. Follow the signs to reach this summer paradise.

On either side of Hanover, one can choose either the White River or Lake Mascoma. Each offers unique opportunities for swimming or tubing or dangling hot toes in the water.

Stopping in the first parking lot by the great, big Wilder Dam on the way to West Lebanon and hiking a spell will bring you to Boston Lot Reservoir. If you want a secluded pond with a swimming dock, this is the place for you! According to the guide, it's a "good place to get away from the world, get naked, and have some good clean fun."

The Ledges, on the way to Meriden, New Hampshire, is another popular option. Just outside of West Lebanon, past the fast food strip, you can find the turn off onto Brook Road. Find a nice spot, park along the side of the narrow road and choose a pool to wade in, the rushing waterfalls and churning whirlpools of the large stream.

For "a fast flowing narrow river, with all kinds of falls, pools, and rapids -- generally making for some of the best swimming around" check out the Union Village Dam, on the other side of Norwich.

According to Brian Kunz, assistant director of outdoor programs, Union Village Dam recreation area is a "nice scenic place." For detailed, and rather involved directions, consult "The Green Pages."

Kunz offered another suggestion, one of his favorite swimming choices, the Ompompanoosac River. Although there is "lots of poison ivy," one can find some choice spots along the banks of this river.

Finally, if you really just want to cool off in a hurry and exercise at the same time, there's always the gym! The pools are cool and refreshing, though very chlorinated, and you only have to avoid swimming lessons! Adult swimming hours are Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and weekends, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Then again, when it's one hundred degrees in the shade and you feel your clothes welding themselves to your body, any water is good water!

Keep in mind, however, that caution is vital wherever you choose to soak your sundrenched soul. One safety awareness tip offered by Safety and Security in a Blitzmail bulletin is a reminder "not to go near the river after dark or when there is not a lifeguard on duty."

In addition, as bathers are all too often told, do not swim alone and do not swim under the influence of alcohol.