'95 falls off fire escape

Melissa Trumbull '95 fell from a third floor fire escape outside of her room at Sigma Delta sorority last Thursday night. She broke her arm and sustained a compression fracture of the vertebrae.

Doctors at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center operated on Trumbull's arm yesterday and, according to her brother, the operation was long but successful. College insurance will cover the cost of the operation, Trumbull's father said.

Trumbull said doctors expect her to be out of bed and given a back brace in a couple of days, but warned she may suffer minor back problems as a result of the accident.

Trumbull said she had been crossing the fire escape to a friend's room shortly before midnight when she was startled by a car horn, causing her to misjudge her step and fall through the opening of the fire escape that leads to the ladder. She fell through openings on the third and second floor fire escapes and landed on the ground.

No alcohol was involved, according to Sigma Delta President Adriana McGrath '95.

According to McGrath, people have had accidents involving the same fire escape in the past. She spoke with Bernard Haskell of the Office of Residential Life about putting chains around the opening, but he said blocking the ladder in any way would be a fire hazard. Instead, he recommended that people stay off the fire escapes.

McGrath said she had been in the hall outside Trumbull's room and entered the room when she heard a scream outside. After realizing what had happened, Katie Woodcock '95, Trumbull's roommate, dialed 911, McGrath said.

The police had already arrived to take control of the situation by the time the two ran downstairs. McGrath said she attempted to calm Trumbull while they were waiting for an ambulance.

"We were both really shaken up," McGrath said. "I don't know if I've ever been so terrified as when I heard Lissa scream."

The ambulance crew took Trumbull, who was shaken up but coherent, to the emergency room at DHMC after placing her on a back board.

After hearing of their daughter's accident, Trumbull's parents and younger brother rushed to Lebanon from their home in Connecticut to be with their daughter.

"I've been really impressed by the support shown to Lissa by her friends and sorority sisters," Trumbull's mother said.

Wendy Jastremski '95 said she was shocked to hear about Trumbull's accident and went to the hospital to visit her the next day.

"Lissa is really handling the situation well and seems to be in good spirits," Jastremski said.

Trumbull said she appreciates the support she has received from her family and friends.

"I'll be up and about soon." a remarkably optimistic Trumbull said from her hospital bed. "Everybody has been really helpful."