'Black and White' film shows again

"Politics of Love in Black and White," a student film on interracial relationships, is back by popular demand and in a newly edited version.

The film by Edward Burley '92 and Christopher Weck '92 began in their documentary film class during the 1991 Summer term. Upon completion, the first 30-minute version of the film played at various places around campus. According to Weck, it was well received but there were many questions as to why only black students were interviewed.

In response Burley and Weck put together another 30-minute version, in which they interviewed only white students. The two films played together last spring in a packed Loew auditorium.

According to Weck, he and Burley were not completely satisfied with the films that played last year, so they re-edited them during the summer after their graduation. Weck went to work in New York in the fall, and Burley finished the editing. The result is one 30-minute film that combines the two earlier versions.

"Most of the interviews deal with people who are or have been involved in interracial relationships and the responses they dealt with from families, friends and the community at large," Weck said. "Some deal with people who aren't involved and don't think interracial relationships should occur."

California News Reel, an educational information firm out of San Francisco, is now distributing a version of the film, which is similar to the one that will play at the College, to colleges and high schools across the country.

The film studies department, Inter-racial Concerns Committee and the Afro-American Society are sponsoring the upcoming screening. "There were a lot of people who didn't get to see it that wanted to and we wanted to show a version we were more happy with," Weck said about the decision to return to the College for another showing of the film.

The new "Politics of Love in Black and White" will play in Loew Auditorium Wednesday at 7 p.m.