Transferring from Dartmouth

Establishing a socially viable atmosphere in the New Hampshire wilderness has proven as difficult as keeping elements of urban life out of it. Dartmouth's charming, pastoral setting is an essentially positive aspect of the school's character, but the idyllic location has also been shown to have frustrating consequences for some unsuspecting students.

The more unique a school gets, the greater the urgency of a visit prior to matriculation.

For students from urban backgrounds, the premium on careful deliberation is especially high before the decision to spend four years at a place like Hanover is made. The submission of transfer applications from Dartmouth, although not a chronic occurrence at the College, is the best gauge of serious student dissatisfaction.

As of late, transfer applications seem to express a rationale for leaving which is alarmingly common.

Perhaps such gratifying connotations as "provincial," "secluded" and "relaxed" have ironically inspired in some students a sense of isolation and "suffocation."

Of course Hanover cannot be pleasing to everybody, but when Assistant Dean of Freshman Anthony Tillman describes the "most significant reason" students give for transferring as "Dartmouth's environment," there is some undeniably fertile ground for examination.

The existence of a strained and perhaps too limited social scene is no revelation to Dartmouth students.

Many willingly and enthusiastically take part in wild substance abuse and deviant behavior prevalent on the Greek circuit, but many also feel externally compelled to do so or just outright refuse to participate.

While long lines for Milwaukee's Best in one corner and a required bag of Oreos in the other endear Dartmouth to some, it is reasonably understandable why a few might find this too constricting.

These students are not protesting the selection of beers, but rather the social alternatives on the menu. On any given weekend night, some may feel that location, architecture and degree of alcohol consumption are the only distinguishing factors between one fraternity and another. They are not entirely wrong.

There seem to be very few options for people who find themselves in such a quandary.

When the prospect of a move as consequential as transferring comes under consideration, there is a very real problem in the realm of student life.

Dartmouth in all of its natural tranquillity was never meant to inspire feelings negative enough to make people want to uproot themselves and start all over somewhere new.

Academic and athletic considerations, no matter how much they might weigh in favor of staying, are sometimes not enough to tip the balance in Dartmouth's favor.

Social concerns, normally an insignificant sidebar to scholastic worries, become so grave as to determine the fate of some unfortunate students.

Apparently the celebrated and venerated Dartmouth Greek tradition does not impart good cheer and happy memories to all.

There are always a handful of productions at the Hop, but besides that the only alternative to a trip down frat row is Hanover's four-star entertainment mecca and nightclub circuit at the corner of Lebanon and Main Streets.

It is indeed a grim picture if you have an aversion to alphabets including alphas, deltas, sigmas and thetas.

Dartmouth has cited with pride the high level of student satisfaction, as it rightfully should. However, the implicit dissatisfaction which lowers this level from "complete" to "high" is still unfortunate.

Pleasing everybody is as ridiculous as it is futile, but minimizing displeasure is an area where gainful progress can be made.