No honor in cheating

After a year of service on the Committee on Standards, I have witnessed an appalling number of academic dishonesty cases and an even larger number of excuses.

Perhaps what is most upsetting is the lack of respect some students have towards the quality of their scholarship and the integrity of their classmates. But rather than to delineate the moral improprieties of plagiarism, let me offer a more straight forward perspective. Plagiarism is not only wrong, it's stupid.

You've probably heard this line -- "if you cheat and come clean to COS, you'll get a three term suspension." Well don't believe the hype.

At many institutions, such as Yale, a first time offender is liable for expulsion. While our system is a little more lenient -- the operative word being little -- the offense is still as egregious.

As undergraduate students, we are all here to gain an appreciation for learning and scholarship. A student who steals another person's work and presents it as his/her own is challenging the most fundamental principle we carry at Dartmouth -- academic integrity.

As Dartmouth students, we are not accustomed to low marks or academic failure. However, it is far better to fail than it is to cheat. Ted Kennedy, who plagiarized at Harvard and was suspended, has had to defend his error all his life.

Next month, you can bet COS will have a couple of academic dishonesty cases from graduating seniors. If these seniors are found guilty, they will not graduate or be able to walk with their class. After four years of work at Dartmouth, try explaining that one to your parents, your friends and yourself.

Cheating hurts everyone, and it's just not worth it. I have much more respect for a student who fails with dignity, than succeeds with dishonor.