English FSP killed

The Committee of Chairs' vote to kill the English foreign study program in London appears to be final.

Professor William Spengemann who leads the foreign study program said last week there was a chance one of the department heads who had voted against the program would ask for a revote.

But the professor has not come forward and the English department has begun discussing alternatives to the two-term London program.

English Department Chair Louis Renza said the department met Wednesday with some senior English majors to discuss possibilities for replacing the terminated program.

He said that Spengemann, as director of next year's program at University College London, would investigate opportunities for a one term program in London or elsewhere in England.

Both Renza and Spengemann said that since the London program will not end until the 1995-96 academic year, the department has sufficient time to find a replacement to satisfy both the Committee of Chairs and the Office of Off-Campus Programs.

Economics Professor Jack Menge, who is the vice chair of the Committee of Chairs, said the professor who was considering calling for a revote decided not to.

"No one has come forward," Menge wrote in an electronic mail message. "The individual who indicated some interest in making such a motion has decided against such action."