Animator Jones receives second DFS award

Chuck Jones, the man who brought Bugs Bunny to life, received the Dartmouth Film Award Saturday night in a packed Spaulding Auditorium.

The presentation, which was titled "Chuck Amuck or The Return of Chuck Jones," included the showing of 11 of his short animation films.

Jones, who spoke between films presented the air of a stand-up comedian. The animator, who turned 80 in September, acted like a boy going on 16.

"I don't feel like I'm eighty. I feel like a young man with something the matter with him," he quipped.

There was often more laughter at Jones' jokes than at Eleazer's Dungeon Comedy Club. When Jones first walked on stage he received the first standing ovation of the night from an appreciative crowd. Many rushed to the front of the stage to get a handshake from Jones, who did not disappoint them.

"I thought this was a formal affair, and it looks like everyone came in their underwear," he joked.

Between films such as "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century," "Ali Baba Bunny" and "A Scent of the Matterhorn," Jones told of his involvement in animation, in his established, joking style.

When speaking on the issue of violence in cartoons, he said, "I've probably made psychotics out of a great number of people. This audience tonight demonstrates that."

Jones also recalled his own biography. He worked his way through art school as a janitor, and started drawing animation in 1931. Jones joined Warner Brothers in 1933, where he created the and directed the immortal caricatures of Daffy Duck, the Road Runner, Elmer Fudd and many others.

Jones had few kind words for Jack Warner, who, according to the animator once said, "The only thing I know about our animation department is that they make Mickey Mouse."

Warner Brothers shut their animation division in 1962, when according to Jones, Warner found out that they didn't make Mickey Mouse.

Jones was visibly taken aback by the overwhelming gratitude expressed by the audience. He received two standing ovations, and he often called it his best audience, ever. The audience cheered every time Jones' name was displayed as the director of one of the films.

"Tonight you put an exquisite flower in my buttonhole," he said at the end of the show.

During Jones' 60 year career in animation he has directed over 250 animated films, most of them lasting six minutes. According to Jones, one six minute film uses around 5,000 drawing frames. He has won three Academy Awards, and has directed other films such as "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

The audience got the chance to meet Jones and get autographs at a carrot cake reception in the Hopkins Center Faculty Lounge.

Saturday was the second time Jones had received the Dartmouth Film Award. He was also at the College during the 1984 Winter Carnival.