Sonic Space: It’s Almost Actually Warm

By Maya Poddar, The Dartmouth Staff | 4/20/15 3:40am

I know a lot of solid albums have been released recently, but I didn’t want to write about a single one of them. Instead, I’ve put together a playlist of tracks that I like. Ostensibly, the theme of this playlist is “songs to blast on the Green.” The basic requirements are volume (it must be loud), appropriateness (there are many tiny munchkins running around the Green) and upbeat-ness (monastic chanting is both loud and appropriate but not exactly fun).

Starting off the playlist is “Vidorra,” a track by Norwegian producer Martin Tungevaag. “Vidorra” is a bouncy, fun house song. It’s both a great spring day track and a great spring night track, perfect for forgetting that you’re in a grimy frat basement. I almost included all of Tungevaag’s tracks on this playlist. They all would have worked, but while “Wicked Wonderland” and “Samsara” are both fantastic songs, the production on “Vidorra” is, in my opinion, by far the cleanest.

As a momentary cool-down post-“Vidorra,” the RAC remix of Echosmith’s “Cool Kids” is both more accessible and low-key. RAC remixes are pretty great across the board — I like his remix of Two Door Cinema Club’s “Something Good Can Work” more than the original. In this case, I make no comment on the relative positions of the remix and the original. RAC stays true to the source material, but jazzes up the bass line and brightens up the song.

“Running Behind” is the newest release by self-described “brat pop” duo HOLYCHILD. Like their other works, the song consists primarily of rapid-fire lyrics and layered sounds. “Running Behind” is more staccato than previous songs and more tightly layered. By keeping the sounds separate and clear, HOLYCHILD manages to keep the track from becoming muddled. What you get is a complex track that’s ready for a tight and bright party.

“Chandelier,” Sia’s infectious summer track, has been revived with a Chloe Martini remix. The remix is more intense and party-friendly than the original, making it an ideal way to run back last summer while still moving forward as a person.

The next track on the playlist is a remix of one of my favorite live acts, French Horn Rebellion. The Hyperbits remix of “Caaalifornia” is far more accessible than the original track, and it fulfills all of the requirements for this playlist: it’s good, clean fun.

Thankfully, the song “What’s Your Sign” by Keljet is much better than the pickup line by the same name. The track, featuring HOLYCHILD, is geared to make you dance, and it does a damned decent job.

This next song might get some glares, but the Mike Williams Future remix of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “I Really Like You” is actually good. I promise. Jepsen’s ear-wormy lyrics are mostly kept intact, but the overly saccharine melody and music are replaced with a thumping bass line.

“Coupe De Ville” by TCTS (featuring Aniff Akinola) is kind of a dumb track, but intellectual value is not a prerequisite for this playlist. Due to its soothing simplicity, “Coupe De Ville” is a catchy song. It might even be catchy enough to get “I Really Like You” out of your head.

The Le Boeuf remix of Shaggy’s “It Wasn’t Me” is by far my best discovery of the term. It’s the perfect pong-scene remix. It has everything: lyrics that everyone knows and a solid bass line. The remix is a perfect update on a popular throwback.

The final track, “Move” by Mausi, is a sentimental pick. An older Mausi track, “sol.,” was my jam back in the day, and I may have gotten a little too excited when I heard this new one. Not to imply that “Move” isn’t fantastic. It’s bright and summery, and it makes me want to go to Santorini.

Maya Poddar, The Dartmouth Staff