Tube Talk: Five spring finales to watch

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff | 5/9/13 3:30am

“Revenge”—Season 2, Episodes 21 and 22 “Truth” (May 12)

Although “Revenge” has received more criticism in its second season than its first, this is one show that you can’t just stop watching once you’ve started. Yes, Emily Thorne’s (Emily VanCamp) web of connections and lies is more tangled than ever and it can be difficult to know her true feelings in any given situation, but “Revenge” has stayed strong through season two.

The two-part finale is guaranteed to blow viewers out of the water. A series of dangerous events in the first part will lead one of the characters to a life-changing moment. However, the real drama will be left for part two, when a death may force Emily to question her path to revenge.

“New Girl”—Season 2, Episode 25 “Elaine’s Big Day” (May 14)

Season two of “New Girl” failed to bring in the big ratings of season one, and this season’s premiere attracted only half as many viewers as the first. However, viewers have stayed relatively consistent, proving that people still can’t get enough of this quirky gang. Plus, Nick (Jake Johnson) and Jess (Zooey Deschanel) finally become a couple, earning season two endless kudos.

The last episode of season two brings the “New Girl” gang to Cece’s (Hannah Simone) wedding. However, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) and Winston (Lamorne Morris) plot to sabotage the celebration. Meanwhile, Jess and Nick must make a decision that could end their relationship before it’s really started. Taylor Swift guest stars in this episode as Elaine, but the real questions are what role will she play and how is this her big day.

“The Big Bang Theory”—Season 6, Episode 24 “The Bon Voyage Reaction” (May 16)

Like a really good cheese, “The Big Bang Theory” only gets better over time. The sixth season saw the highest viewers of all, hitting a new series high with the 20 million viewers of “The Bakersfield Expedition,” episode 13 of this season. A rare thing in the TV world, critics have continued to bestow the hit series with praise and high ratings.

In this finale, Leonard (Johnny Galecki) is offered a fantastic opportunity to work overseas for the summer, taking Sheldon (Jim Parsons) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco) by surprise. At the same time, Raj (Kunal Nayyar) doubts that Lucy (Kate Micucci) will get along with his friends and tries to take their relationship in a different direction.

“Modern Family”—Season 4, Episode 24 “Goodnight Gracie” May 22

While critical reception has somewhat wavered in the past two seasons, “Modern Family” viewers continue to tune in to watch the wacky family and its latest blunders. The show has also attracted much criticism for its portrayal of a gay couple and reinforcing of typical gender roles and stereotypes, leading some to question how “modern” this family truly is. However, the humor present in “Modern Family” is sidesplitting and the characters are some of the most lovable on TV, which bring back the audience one episode after another.

The finale starts on a somber note, with the death of Phil’s (Ty Burrell) mother, leading everyone down to Florida to support him and his family. An outstanding arrest warrant catches up with Gloria (Sofia Vergara) while Jay (Ed O’Neill) is faced with someone from his past.

“Smash”—Season 2, Episode 17 “The Tonys” May 26

After a stellar season one premiere, “Smash” started to slide down a slippery slope. Although there have been some saving moments since the start of the series, the overall concept has grown too complex, leaving viewers and critics disappointed. The songs and dance numbers continue to rake in the more dedicated audience members, but it’s likely that this season finale also doubles as a series finale.

This finale is the night that all the work has lead up to: the Tony Awards. However, the awards may not live up to the characters’ expectations. The entire cast of “Bombshell” holds their breath to see if their spots in Broadway will finally be secured or forgotten in a night.

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Staff