Tube Talk: Project Spring Break — five shows to start watching

By Jessica Zischke | 2/28/13 4:00am

No matter how many TV shows you keep up with, there are always more worthy of your attention. It’s just a fact of life. Thankfully, this means there’s constantly a wealth of shows to pick from! Now you might be wondering how you can even begin choose the shows that you should start watching. Never fear, for Tube Talk is here! Whether you’re spending spring break at home or on-campus these shows will fill your free time with laughter, tears and copious amounts of joy.

“Skins” (2007-present) — 55 episodes

Remember that show about crazy British teenagers that all of your friends were talking about a few years ago but you never had the chance to start? Now is the time. “Skins” is the six season-long hit show focusing on three separate generations, which are basically just different groups of friends. The show is more than just the wild antics of a group of high school students, but also explores the characters and their problems. Each episode is named for the character or set of characters on which it focuses, allowing the audience to see the issues that they try to bury and ignore. Plus, with a seventh season on the horizon, this is an ideal time to catch up on the drama you previously missed.

“Pretty Little Liars” (2010-present) — 68 episodes

In a word, this show is addictive. After the very first episode, you’ll be hooked. The lives of four girls — Spencer (Troian Bellisario), Emily (Shay Mitchell), Hanna (Ashley Benson) and Aria (Lucy Hale) — are turned upside down after the disappearance of their close friend Alison (Sasha Pieterse). The series starts one year after Alison’s disappearance, during which the rest of the group has lost touch with one another. Soon they begin receiving mysterious messages from an anonymous “A,” sparking a plot that only grows more convoluted with each episode. With the fourth season slated to air this summer, the past three will be sure to keep you busy during the hiatus.

“Scandal” (2012-present) — 21 episodes

“Scandal” is one show that truly lives up to its name. Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) owns a crisis management firm that primarily works with Washington, D.C.’s political elite to prevent public relations disasters by keeping their secrets under lock and key. However, she has quite the track record herself. While working on Fitzgerald Grant’s (Tony Goldwyn) presidential campaign, the two quickly develop a romantic affair. Once Fitz wins the presidency, Pope resigns from her position as White House Press Secretary in an attempt to end the scandal, but this doesn’t prove as easy as she thought. With equal parts romance and suspense, this ABC masterpiece will spice up your spring break in minutes.

“Suits” (2011-present) — 28 episodes

Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams) is an exemplary lawyer. Well, except for the whole “law degree” thing. Ross accidentally sits for an interview for an associate attorney position at Pearson Hardman while escaping the police after getting involved in a drug delivery gone wrong. Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht) is impressed right off the bat, decides to hire Mike and pretends he is a graduate of Harvard Law School, an important requirement for all employees in the firm. Unfortunately, this secret may not be as safe as the two believe. The constant twists and turns will keep you nailed to the spot, but be warned: a severe lack of sleep may result.

“Homeland” (2011-present) — 24 episodes

What happens when you suspect something that no one else will believe? Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) struggles with exactly this question throughout the series. Mathison, a Central Intelligence Agency operations officer, is on probation after she conducts an unauthorized operation in Iraq. While there, she was warned that an American prisoner-of-war was turned by Al Qaeda. After Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis), a U.S. Marine Sergeant who was reported as missing in action, has been found and rescued, Mathison believes that he is the turned prisoner. Prepare to have your mind blown as the situation only grows more complicated with each episode.

Jessica Zischke