Week 10: The Weekend Roundup

Ben Martin '20 put in four goals against Wagner University, including the go-ahead marker, and now leads the team with nine.

Basketball

The women’s basketball team finished its season away this weekend splitting games against Columbia University and Cornell University. On Saturday, the Big Green beat Columbia 88-77. While the Lions outscored Dartmouth 28-25 in the fourth quarter, the Big Green took command at the outset and went up by as many as 21 points in the game. Kate Letkewicz ’18 had 24 points, while co-captain Emily Slagle ’18 added 14 and Cy Lippold ’19 and Isalys Quiñones ’19 contributed 13 each.

In the last game of the season on Sunday, the Big Green fell in a close game to Cornell 51-49. Despite the close result, the Big Red outscored the Big Green in three of the four quarters. The Big Green came close to besting the Big Red as it led by seven midway into the fourth quarter; however, a handful of three-pointer shots by Cornell’s Dylan Higgins and Danielle Jorgenson closed the gap. Letkewicz finished her Dartmouth career scoring 17 points, and Lippold added 12 more. 

The women finish their season 15-12 overall and 7-7 in Ivy play, finishing fifth in the Ivy League.

The men’s basketball team closed out its season this past weekend with games against Columbia and Cornell. On Friday, the men had a thrilling victory over Columbia 80-78, preventing the Lions from securing a berth in the Ivy League Tournament. The Big Green had an early 14-5 lead due to three pointers by co-captain Miles Wright ’18 and James Foye ’20. Dartmouth led by 11 at halftime, but Columbia staged a monumental comeback, outscoring the Big Green 50-41 in the second half. The game was neck-and-neck at 78-75, and Taylor Johnson ’18 sank two free throws to give the Big Green some extra breathing room. In the final few seconds, Nate Hickman of Columbia threw up a three-point attempt, but it fell short and the Big Green maintained its two-point lead. Wright contributed 21 points to the victory, with Brendan Barry ’20, Adrease Jackson ’21 and Taylor Johnson ’18 each adding double digits to boost the team. 

Unfortunately, on Saturday, the men could not follow up with the success and fell to Cornell 86-75 on senior night. With all four seniors in the starting lineup, Johnson and Wright finished with a combined 35-point effort. But the Big Red could not be stopped as five of its players contributed double digits, helping the team secure the fourth and final berth to the Ivy League Tournament. 

The men close out their season 7-20 overall and 3-11 in Ivy play and finished eighth in the Ivy League. 

Baseball

The Big Green competed in the Snowbird Classic at North Charlotte Regional Park in Port Charlotte, Florida over the weekend. Dartmouth bested Villanova University 12-7 on Saturday but fell 10-8 in its second game of the day to Northeastern University. The win over Villanova came behind a strong seven inning effort by co-captain Cole O’Connor ’19, who struck out 10 batters, a new career-high. It was the Big Green’s first win of the season. 

Against Northeastern, Dartmouth led 8-5 heading into the ninth inning but gave up five runs to surrender the game to the Huskies. Each team managed 18 hits in the contest. Batting leadoff, Matt Feinstein ’19 racked up four hits and knocked in a run along the way.

Dartmouth will play the University of California, Santa Barbara on March 14 and California State University, Bakersfield in a four-game series March 15 to March 18.

Men's Hockey

This weekend, the No. 5 men’s hockey team played in the first round of the Eastern College Athletic Conference playoffs in a three-game series against No. 12 St. Lawrence University, where the Big Green walked away victorious, 2-1.

Dartmouth got a scrappy 2-1 victory in the first game against the Saints. With both teams held scoreless in the first period, St. Lawrence struck first in the second period, leading 1-0. Dartmouth struck back not once but twice, with two goals 53 seconds apart later that period. Shane Sellar ’20 scored first assisted by Will Graber ’20 and Quin Foreman ’21, and the second goal was scored by captain Kevan Kilistoff ’19 assisted by Charley Michaelowski ’20  and Daniel Warpecha ’20.

In the second game, the Big Green fell to the Saints 4-2. Despite leading 1-0 in the first few minutes of the game thanks to Ryan Blankemeier ’20, St. Lawrence responded with two goals in the first and second periods and added two more unanswered goals in the final frame. While the Big Green had more shots on goal with 28-22, the team could not get past St. Lawrence goalkeeper Arthur Brey, who blocked 26 shots. 

With each team coming into the third game with a win apiece, this matchup proved heated. Both teams went scoreless in the first quarter, but in the middle of the second period, Graber helped the Big Green go up 1-0. Unfortunately, with about a minute left in the second period, on a turnover behind the net, the Saints tied the game up 1-1. Early in the third period, Corey Kalk ’18 responded with a goal to boost the Big Green to a 2-1 lead that remained unanswered for the remainder of the game. 

The Big Green extends its season and is set to play Harvard University this weekend in the quarterfinals.

Men's Lacrosse

Women’s lacrosse beat Columbia University 20-10 on Saturday in Hanover in its Ivy League conference opener. The home game was a rematch for the Big Green, who lost its game last year against Columbia 17-10. Dartmouth is now 3-1 overall and 1-0 in Ivy League play. Campbell Brewer ’19 and Ellie Carson ’20 led the Big Green’s strong offensive play, with each scoring five goals. Dartmouth scored 20 goals for the sixth time in program history, and the first time ever against Columbia, although the Big Green had scored 19 goals against the Lions five times before. Dartmouth took 32 shots compared to Columbia’s 20, and nine Big Green players scored points.

The Big Green will play next in Hempstead, New York against Hofstra University on March 16.

Women's Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team pulled off a massive comeback Saturday, scoring six consecutive goals in the second half to defeat Wagner University 9-8. The win, the first for the Big Green over the Seahawks in three years, brings the team’s record to 2-2 on the season. The Big Green was led by Ben Martin ’20 with four goals, while several other players contributed multiple points to the total, including George Prince ’21 with one goal and two assists and Richie Loftus ’18 with two goals and one assist. George Christopher ’20 stood in net all 60 minutes for Dartmouth, finishing with 12 saves in the win. 

The first half began slowly for the Dartmouth men, as a penalty goal seconds into the matchup helped jump the Seahawks to a 2-0 lead by the midpoint of the quarter. By the second period, the Big Green had equalized on goals from Martin and Prince. However, Wagner scored four unanswered goals following another by Martin, taking Dartmouth into the half down 6-3. In the third quarter, the Big Green began to turn things around, allowing zero points from the Seahawks while scoring three goals of its own. This success continued into the fourth quarter, with Dartmouth finding another three unanswered goals in a four minute span. Wagner finally responded with two goals turning the game into a slim 9-8 Big Green lead, but a clutch save by Christopher with 15 seconds remaining secured the victory for Dartmouth. 

The men’s lacrosse team will take on St. John University away on March 17.

Women's Tennis

Women’s tennis defeated the University of Massachusetts 6-1 at the Boss Tennis Center this Saturday, bringing the team’s overall record to 6-5 on the season.

The Big Green came out swinging in doubles as Dartmouth won three of four matches. Co-captain Kristina Mathis ’18 and Racquel Lyn ’20 easily took the No. 2 position 6-1. Maddie Hwang ’21 and Allison Chuang ’19 followed suit, taking the No. 3 position 7-5. Shannon Mukerji ’18 and Jasmine Abidi ’21 closed it out in a close match in 7-6 to put Dartmouth up 1-0.

Dartmouth continued its strong play headed into singles, clinching the victory with three straight-set wins. Abigail Chiu ’21, Chuyang Guan ’20 and Lyn handily swept their matches, while Mathis and co-captain Julia Schroeder ’18 narrowly defeated their opponents in the No. 1 and 2 spots, respectively, winning their matches in super breakers.

The women’s team will head to California over spring break to face Fresno State University, Long Beach State University, Pepperdine University and San Diego State University and will return March 31 to start Ivy play against Harvard University.

Squash

The men’s and women’s squash team traveled to Washington D.C. to compete in the Individual Championships this weekend to end the season. Co-captain Alvin Heumann ’18 defeated St. Lawrence University’s Karim Ibrahim 9, 7, 2 in the men’s national championship pool to advance to quarters but fell to Harvard University’s David Ryan 9, 10, 3. Carson Spahr ’19 competed in the Molloy East bracket, advancing to the finals before losing to St. Lawrence University’s Belal Nawar. Janel Gaube ’18  lost to Hayley Hughes of Drexel University in the first round of the Holleran South bracket, and co-captain Becky Brownell ’18 and Anne Blasberg ’20 were unable to advance beyond the first round of the Holleran West bracket.

Softball

The Dartmouth softball team spent this past weekend at the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas, coming away with two wins and three losses through three days of competition. On Friday, the Big Green initially found success, defeating Central Connecticut State University 5-3 but tripped up in its game against host University of Arkansas, falling 12-3. On Saturday, Dartmouth narrowly fell to the University of Northern Colorado 3-2, and again in a much closer matchup against the Razorbacks, this time 2-1. However, the team was able to finish the weekend off on a high note Sunday morning, again defeating Central Connecticut State, this time by a score of 7-2.  

The performance through the weekend brings the record for the Big Green to 2-8 on the season. The team restarts play March 17 at the Houston Tournament in Houston, Texas.

Sailing

The Dartmouth sailing team competed in the Sharpe Team Race, hosted by Brown University, this past Sunday. Peninah Benjamin ’20, Eloise Burn ’21, Max Clapp ’21, co-captain Sophia Diserio ’18, co-captain Erik Weis ’18 and Duncan Williford ’18 represented the Big Green and took sixth out of eight teams with a record of 2-5. 

The Big Green lost to the host team, along with Harvard University, Massachusetts Insitute of Technology, Tufts University and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, but the team managed to turn a corner and finished the day with a win against the University of Rhode Island. 

Dartmouth sailing will take the next few weeks off over the spring break and restart competition the weekend of March 24.