Women’s swimming and diving placed on probation following hazing violation

Dartmouth women’s swimming and diving team has been placed on probation after admitting to a violation of the College’s hazing policy.

Following a series of interviews conducted by Safety and Security and the Department of Athletics and Recreation, the team admitted to having first-year members "create and present a sexualized Powerpoint presentation” on the team’s winter break training trip in December 2016, according to a press release from Dartmouth Sports released Monday.

The case did not involve drugs, alcohol or physical harm and was not pursued as a criminal violation, though the College was in contact with Hanover police about its investigation.

The Organizational Adjudication Committee accepted the admission of policy violation and, following a meeting with team captains, imposed a year of College probation as well as educational and team development requirements. Dartmouth Athletics will ban the team from three intercollegiate meets in fall 2017, with competition resuming on December 1. The team can train and participate in educational activities in the fall but will remain in Hanover during the December break.