A Bird's Eye View of Dartmouth

The Class of 2014’s four years at the College were characterized by administrative turnover, campus renovations, student activism and rising concerns surrounding the role of Greek life, with these issues particularly prevalent during the 2013-14 academic year.

Freshman Year: 2010-11

To accommodate the large size of the Class of 2014, which had about 50 more students than previous classes, the College converted 44 double rooms in Fahey Hall and McLane Hall to triples.

In the fall, renovations began on Thayer Dining Hall, now called the Class of 1953 Commons, after a $12 million donation from members of the Class of 1953.

Along with the renovations to Thayer, Dartmouth Dining Services changed to a new meal payment plan, which combined meal swipes and money in a declining balance account. Previously, the plan had operated solely on an à-la-carte basis. Students protested the new plan, criticizing it as limiting and overpriced.

The College announced that the value of its endowment had increased by 6 percent over the 2010 fiscal year after falling during the recession.

In the winter, three administrators of minority backgrounds announced their resignations, leading some students to critique Dartmouth’s ability to retain minority faculty and staff. Acting director of the Center for Women and Gender Samantha Ivery, who also served as an advisor for black students, was one administrator who resigned. At the time, Ivery declined to comment on her decision to leave the College but said that she had experienced racism and sexism in the workplace at Dartmouth.

During the academic year, Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity’s new physical plant was completed, and Baker Berry Library added seating and electrical outlets to its Main Hall in an effort to make the space conducive to study and socializing.

Coffee, pastries and conversation began to fill the space previously known as the Berry News Center after King Arthur Flour Café opened in June.

The College announced reforms to combat sexual assault and binge drinking, including the “Safe Ride” system, the Green Team bystander intervention program and a revised Social Events and Management Procedure policy.

After a physical and verbal altercation between a man and woman, Panhellenic council sorority presidents established a policy in which houses would boycott social events at any fraternity where a member assaulted a female student if there was not prompt internal adjudication.

Sophomore Year: 2011-12

In September 2011, the Class of 1953 Commons opened. The Class of 1953 Commons can accommodate approximately 400 more students than its predecessor.

Republican presidential candidates came to Hanover when Dartmouth hosted a debate prior to the New Hampshire Republican primary in January.

In December, the Hanover Inn closed for renovations. The project lasted a year and a half and cost the College $41 million, almost $21 million over budget.

Crispin Scott ’13 was found dead in an apartment in Barcelona while studying abroad on a program sponsored by Portland State University. A landlord, Oscar Vicente Castro Cedeno, was charged with the murder. He is remembered by friends and classmates for his intelligence, sense of humor and generous spirit.

In January, Andrew Lohse ’12 published an opinion column in The Dartmouth accusing Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity of hazing its pledges. The column, which provided graphic depictions of the alleged hazing, also accused the College’s administration of ignoring abuses by the Greek system.

Lohse’s column was followed in March by Janet Reitman’s article titled “Confessions of an Ivy League Frat Boy,” published in Rolling Stone Magazine. The College charged 27 members of SAE with hazing violations.

In April, after evidence contradicted some of Lohse’s account, charges against the members of SAE were dropped. The house was put on three terms of social probation for hazing, disorderly conduct and serving alcohol to minors.

Suril Kantaria ’13 and Julia Danford ’13 were elected student body president and vice president for the 2012-13 year, replacing outgoing president Max Yoeli ’12 and outgoing vice president Amrita Sankar ’12.

On March 23, Kim was nominated by President Barack Obama to lead the World Bank. After his nomination, Kim went on a “listening tour” of eight countries to promote his candidacy.

In April, the World Bank’s directors selected Kim for the Bank’s presidency. He left his Parkhurst Hall office on June 30 after the second-shortest presidential tenure at the College. He was replaced by Interim President Carol Folt, and a search committee began to recruit his replacement.

Dartmouth Medical School was renamed the Geisel School of Medicine to honor Theodor Geisel ’25 and his wife Audrey in April.

Junior Year: 2013-13

The 2012-13 academic year was billed as the “Year of the Arts” at the College, and performers including Wynton Marsalis and Yo-Yo Ma were brought to Hanover. The Black Family Visual Arts Center opened in the fall.

Over the summer, Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson crafted a new alcohol and hazing policy that allowed Safety and Security officers to perform random, unannounced walkthroughs of Greek houses. Greek leaders expressed disappointment with many of the changes.

In November, the Dartmouth Bystander Initiative was launched. The initiative, created by clinical psychologist Jennifer Sayre ’93, aims to mitigate assault and hazing by empowering bystanders.

University of Michigan Provost Phil Hanlon ’77 was selected to succeed Kim as the 18th president of the College on Nov. 29.

In December, 464 students were admitted early decision, after applications declined by 12.5 percent. Regular decision applications declined by 3 percent.

During the winter, Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity was placed on three terms of College suspension for hazing violations. The punishment came after Yesuto Shaw ’15 wrote a column in The Dartmouth alleging he was hazed.

During the annual Dimensions show, about a dozen protesters, who organized under the name Real Talk Dartmouth, pushed into the Class of 1953 Commons chanting “Dartmouth has a problem” and shouting criticisms about the prevalence of sexual assault, racism and homophobia at the College.

After violent threats toward the protestors were posted on the anonymous website Bored at Baker, classes were canceled on April 24, the first time classes have been canceled since 1986.

In May, a group of more than 30 students and alumni filed a Clery Act complaint against the College. The complaint accuses the College of violating portions of the Clery Act in regard to sexual assault, discrimination, hate crimes and hazing.

Also in May, the Department of Education initiated a Title IX investigation of the College.

Senior Year: 2013-14

In July, the College announced that the Right Rev. James Tengatenga would become the Tucker Foundation’s dean. Following push back from students and staff, who criticized Tengatenga’s past statements on homosexuality, the College revoked the appointment in August.

Carolyn Dever, dean of the college of arts and sciences at Vanderbilt University, was selected as the College’s next provost. She will officialy begin July 1.

The number of students applying to Dartmouth dropped 14 percent in 2014. Following the announcement, the admissions office conducted a survey of non-applicants to gather data about the shift.

Five members of the Panhellenic Council decided to abstain from winter recruitment activities, stating that the rush process perpetuated the flaws of the Greek system. Despite initial confusion, a slightly modified version of recruitment occurred and 95 women received bids.

In January, an online post on Bored at Baker outlined the steps one should take to rape a member of the Class of 2017, identifying her by name and residence hall. Students reacted with outrage, and hundreds gathered on the Green to take a stance against sexual assault. The author of the post has since been identified and is no longer on campus.

In February, a group of students released the “Freedom Budget” — an eight-page document outlining more than 70 proposals that aim to change the distribution of power and resources at the College.

Later, in April, a group of students unsatisfied with the College’s response to the document occupied President Hanlon’s office to demand a more thorough response. The protestors left the office following two days of occupation after representatives of the College signed an agreement to pursue no disciplinary action beyond “low-level judicial review” and undertake a campus climate survey.

In February and March, the Dartmouth community mourned Torin Tucker ’15 and Blaine Steinberg ’15. Services following each death allowed friends and family to grieve and remember the juniors — Tucker for his commitment to community and Steinberg for her inclusivity and drive.

In March, Board of Trustees Chair Steve Mandel ’78 said that beginning with the Class of 2019, sophomores will move into residential “neighborhoods,” where they will live until they graduate. The change will mirror similar systems at Harvard University and Yale University.