Greek orgs. host theme parties

Correction appended

In keeping with tradition, Greek houses are hosting a variety of parties over Winter Carnival weekend from Feb. 5-9. Greek events will include annual parties as well as additional festivities with new themes.

Students seeking warmer temperatures are invited to attend Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity's annual beach party today, according to president Paul Finkelstein '13.

The beach party will take place even though the fraternity is on probation and no alcohol will be served, Alpha Chi member Tommy McQuillan '13 said.

"The one party I'm super excited for is beach party," he said. "Basically we fill the entire first floor with sand and everybody dresses up in beachy clothes."

Beach party is highly anticipated by students, especially members of the Class of 2016, who have yet to experience Winter Carnival.

"Alpha Chi beach party sounds pretty awesome, especially in the midst of this cold winter." Lauren Schulte '16 said.

For those interested in fashion, Psi Upsilon fraternity hosted a promotional party for British clothing brand "Jack Wills" with Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority on Thursday night, according to Psi U social chair John Nedeau '13.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity hosted its traditional champagne party on Thursday, according to president Michael Fancher '13. The party is held the Thursday before each of the College's major weekends.

"We like to leave the house open for alumni to come over and feel comfortable," Fancher said. "Champagne is one of the few classier events on campus where people get dressed up."

Gabby Josebachvili '15 said she enjoys Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity's pop punk event and the weekend's atmosphere.

"I just like the whole mood of Winter Carnival no matter what frat you're at," she said. "Everyone's excited to be there."

Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority's "tackiez" party helped start Carnival weekend on Thursday, according to president Hannah Decker '13. Sister members dressed in crazy, mismatched outfits, and guests were invited to do so as well.

Alpha Theta coed fraternity will be hosting its Seven Deadly Sins event on Friday, social chair Julie Fiveash '13 said.

Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity will host a live band during a dance party tonight, according to social chair John Nimmo '13.

On Saturday, Beta Alpha Omega fraternity will host a theme party where attendees are encouraged to dress in themed attire, according to president Michael Burbank '13.

Phi Delta Alpha fraternity will also be hosting a party over the weekend, but plans have yet to be finalized, according to president Brian Shim '13. Phi Delt will also host its second annual chili cook-off on Saturday.

Phoebe Palmer '14 said she participated in the cook-off last year as a member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority's team. At least 30 teams of Greek houses, organizations, individual students and Dartmouth faculty entered the contest.

"I thought it was a great community event," she said. "A ton of people came, there were unlimited free samples and it was really well-run. It was cool to see all the variety in everyone's chili recipes."

Representatives from Alpha Delta fraternity, Bones Gate fraternity, Gamma Delta Chi fraternity, Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, Phi Tau coed fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, the Tabard coed fraternity and Theta Delta Chi fraternity were not available for comment by press time.

**The original version of this story gave the incorrect date of the Seven Deadly Sins event at Alpha Theta coed fraternity. It is on Friday, not Saturday.*