Briefly Noted

Former Big Green football captain and baseball star Scott Creelman '64 died on Wednesday after a five-year struggle with cancer, according to Masslive.com. Creelman, who was 68, spent 35 years employed at Spalding Sports Worldwide, earning the positions of executive vice president, president and chief executive officer. While majoring in sociology at Dartmouth, Creelman earned All-Ivy honors and the football team's Bob Blackman Trophy. He led the 1963 football squad to a tie with Princeton University for the Ivy League Championship title. On the pitching mound, Creelman threw 89 strikeouts in the 1963 season, setting what was a single-season record at the time. Creelman attended Melrose High School in Melrose, Mass., where he lettered in three sports and was inducted into the Melrose High School Hall of Fame.

Football recruit Frankie Hernandez, a three-star safety, committed to Dartmouth last Monday, according to Rivals.com. Big 12 Conference powerhouse Kansas State University was among the schools that Hernandez was previously considering, according to Rivals. Hernandez, a Miami, Fla., native who is listed at 5'10" and 190 pounds, is the second-highest profile recruit from Florida that Dartmouth has received this month, after tight end Jack Sheehy from St. Andrew's School in Boca Raton, Fla., committing several weeks ago. Hernandez is the newest Big Green commitment in recent years from Belen Jesuit Prepatory School. Defensive backs Diego Fernandez-Soto '12 and Anthony Diblasi '12 were also recruited from the high school and are now on the team. Former Dartmouth captain Pete Pidermann '10 also graduated from the South Florida school, according to Big Green Alert Blog.

The Dartmouth women's hockey team placed 10th in last week's USCHO.com preseason rankings, according to United States College Hockey Online. Tied with Providence College for the 10th spot in the rankings, the Big Green finished the 2010-2011 season with an eight-place ranking. After earning last season's NCAA title, the University of Wisconsin leads the rankings, with Boston University trailing in second place. Cornell University, which won last season's Eastern College Athletic Conference and Ivy League championships, placed third in the poll. Dartmouth opens its season against fifth-ranked Boston College on Oct. 23.