The DM Manual of Style

Monday was rainy, gray and simply depressing after the heat wave we all loved to hate (but not really) during midterms. So as I sat at my computer, listening to the unrelenting deluge through my open window, the spontaneity that dictated my sunny-weather days of procrastination needed to be let loose once more. Desperately seeking something to do instead of reading, I looked just past my computer at my pencil cup. Peeking over the side was the handle to my scissors: I decided to cut my hair.

Now, understand that I wasn't planning on cutting all of my hair; though I've been itching to cut it short, I don't think I have enough skill to do it myself (and fortunately I have a strong sense of self preservation). But I wanted to cut something. I held up my scissors to a section of hair that would eventually become my new, blunt, totally chic bangs.

I Blitzed my friends and felt like Elle Woods' best friend in Legally Blonde, wanting to exclaim, "Oh my god, Elle, I almost forgot to tell you: I got BANGS. I'm so now."

And bangs, seven years later (can you believe that movie is already that old?) are in once again. If you've read any magazines lately, you'll see pictures of Camilla Belle (I guess she was in 10,000 B.C. but really, I have trouble understanding why she's so famous other than the fact that she's pretty, but I suppose that's how Hollywood is) and Rachel Bilson (also famous pretty much just because she's simply adorable) rocking this hairstyle. Getting in on the trend, too, are Keira Knightley, Heidi Klum, Reese Witherspoon, Anne Hathaway and Kate Moss, who I believe is credited with starting the revival in fall 2007.Though the success of bangs depends on the face I can't say I like bangs on all of these women they are a fun change (or rainy day activity). They're also a lot quicker to grow out then a short haircut.

The last time I had bangs, I was in fourth grade. They were those thick, rounded ones that all little girls had back then. After years of a bare forehead, it's taking some getting used to having hair occasionally poke me in the eyes. But it's totally worth it: They frame the face and draw attention to the eyes, since the horizontal line of hair skims just above them and causes more contrast. To attain the ideal styling, there are a few helpful hints to follow.

A hair straightener or round brush is absolutely necessary to be able to style bangs correctly. Nobody wants to see randomly wavy, short locks covering your eyes; style them properly in order to have a little bounce. A slight curve toward the face and nonchalant placement are key. You don't want to look like you put too much effort into styling them (hairspray is a no-no), but just two minutes every morning making your bangs look fresh will make a world of difference. A quick look in the mirror, a toss with the fingers and your bangs will be good to go. Rock out.