Women's hockey ready for rematch with No. 2 UNH

The Big Green struggled offensively in its last meeting with UNH. After Caroline Ethier '06 tied the game at 1-1 late in the first, Dartmouth could not manage another tally, and UNH steadily pulled away for a convincing 4-1 victory.

When asked about keys to success this weekend, Dartmouth head coach Mark Hudak commented on the importance of creating offensive opportunities.

After an injury to captain Tiffany Hagge '06, however, scoring chances might be even harder to come by this time around. Hagge broke her fibula in Dartmouth's 4-3 win over Cornell, and will likely miss eight weeks of action. The clutch senior has tallied the winning goal in five of the team's six victories and notched an assist in the sixth.

Even if Dartmouth is able to create a number of scoring chances on Friday, the team could still be in trouble. The Wildcats are allowing only 1.35 goals per game, and primary goalie Melissa Bourdon sports a gaudy .914 save percentage on the season.

Dartmouth's defense faces a tough test as well. UNH boasts a few particularly strong forwards who will likely pose a significant challenge for Dartmouth defenders, including sophomore Jennifer Hitchcock, who has racked up 14 goals and 15 assists in only 20 games this season.

"Our defensive play will need to be very disciplined," Hudak said. The Wildcats have the country's top ranked offense. They average 4.55 goals per game and their power play is currently finding the net an impressive 29.4 percent of the time.

Just who will be charged with defending against that onslaught is unclear at this point. While Hudak has employed a goalie rotation in years past, Kate Lane '06 has received the starting nod in nearly every game this season and has not disappointed.

Lane is currently fourth all-time at Dartmouth in goals against average and fifth in save percentage. However, Carli Clemis '09 is also on the roster. She has played well when she has been between the pipes, but has been sidelined by injuries for much of the season. Either way, having to choose between a pair of capable netminders is not a bad decision to have to make. "Both Lane and Clemis are playing well right now," Hudak said.

Hopefully, the Big Green slept well Thursday night. A bench already shortened by the departure of three seniors to Team Canada for the Olympic Games in Torino has been trimmed even further by injury. Last weekend, the team played with only 13 skaters against Colgate.

Despite the challenges and the brutal schedule early on -- the Big Green was pitted against five nationally ranked opponents -- the team is steadily beginning to gel. Eleven of the team's 18 roster members did not play for the team last year, and that combined with the schedule made for some tough times in the early going. Hudak has been pleased with the way the team has responded.

"The morale on the team has really been very good," he said. "It is a great group of individuals who have come together as a team. Recently, I've noticed some more consistency and intensity in our play. I think the team as a whole is starting to settle in and have some more confidence on the ice."

The opening face-off is set for 7 p.m. tonight.