New England Patriots too much for McNabb and company

Super Bowl XXXIX pits the Philadelphia Eagles against the New England Patriots, and while most networks and newspapers are more than happy to analyze blitz packages into the ground, predictions have been few and far between. However, as of today, all that is about to change.

Breaking down every aspect of the action, this writer will cover all the angles, take the risks no one wants to take and determine which team is walking away with the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Quarterback

For all the records Peyton Manning set this year, Tom Brady clearly has solidified himself as the best quarterback in the league. Brady came out of nowhere as the 199th pick in the 2000 draft behind other quarterbacks such as the ever-dangerous Giovanni Carmazzi and gritty, gutsy Spregon Wynn. Since taking over his team in 2001, Brady is 8-0 in the playoffs and looks to win his third ring in four years.

In 1999, Philly fans booed as Donovan McNabb was taken with the second overall pick, preferring Ricky Williams. Since then, McNabb has silenced the critics, overcoming accuracy issues to complete 64 percent of his passes this season. In addition, McNabb has thrown for almost 4000 yards with 31 touchdowns and only eight picks while leading the Eagles to a 13-3 record. But he is also known for choking in big games like the 2001-2003 NFC Championships. The advantage goes to Brady.

Running Back

After years of being labeled as a malcontent in Cincinnati, Corey Dillon has resurrected his image and posted career numbers. Somehow, Dillon was passed over for the Pro Bowl, but that does not diminish his on-field accomplishments. Simply put, Dillon is a star.

Coming out of Division I-AA Villanova, the shifty Brian Westbrook is critical to both Philadelphia's running and passing games. Dorsey Levens, who the Eagles wisely scraped up from the New York Giants cuts, is a more than capable backup as well. In the end though, Dillon gets the point.

Wide Receivers

The Patriots wide receivers are greatly underrated. Deion Branch appears to be a star in the making while David Givens will no doubt be a key player for the Patriots. As far as tight ends, Daniel Graham and Christian Fauria have not been productive as of late but could become a factor in red zone possessions.

On the one hand, the Eagles' wide receiving core has promising talent in Rutgers product L.J. Smith and rookie Greg Lewis. On the other hand, Freddie Mitchell, a former first round pick, has been a disappointment and a nuisance, while Todd Pinkston is afraid to get hit or catch the ball. With Chad Lewis injured it is imperative for Terrell Owens to play and, because Owens will, the Eagles get the advantage.

Offensive Line

Philadelphia's O-line is in definite need of repair. First round pick Shawn Andrews went down with an injury early in the season and tackle Jon Runyan has had stiffness in his knee for the past several weeks. Clearly the Patriots take the category.

Defensive Line

The Patriots will sorely miss defensive tackle Richard Seymour while the Eagles hope that Jevon "The Freak" Kearse will wreak havoc on Brady. Either way, Philly wins the match up.

Linebackers

Tedy Bruschi leads the heart of a Patriots defense that held the Colts to only three points. Jeremiah Trotter has been the talk of the media since his strong performances against Minnesota and Atlanta but could be exploited by Tom Brady's short passing attack. New England is just too strong in this aspect of the game.

Secondary

Previously a student at the University of Pittsburgh, the Patriots asked Hank Poteat to take a break from his schooling to win a Super Bowl. With starting corners Ty Law and Tyrone Pool both injured, the Patriots have assembled a patchwork secondary with no-names like Earthwind Moreland and Randall Gay.

Philadelphia lost Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor in the off-season but still managed to send three Eagles to the Pro Bowl from their secondary. The anchor of the secondary is Brian Dawkins who is arguably the best safety in the league -- advantage Eagles.

Special Teams

Both teams have top kickers and return men that could be x-factors, but because Vinatieri's commercials are annoying, the Eagles get the nod.

Coaching

Bill Belichick has two rings versus Andy Reid's zero. This one is all Patriots.

The final tally is in and the decision has been made. On Super Bowl Sunday, expect the Eagles to keep it close early. However, in the second half, Dillon and Brady will have their way. Final score: 37-20 in favor of the Pats.