Marat Safin, Serena Williams favored to win Australian Open

When one thinks of Australia, kangaroos, coral reefs and Crocodile Dundee often come to mind. However, Australia also has equally close ties with the sport of tennis. Not only is tennis one of the most popular sports down under but it has produced a disproportionate number of the sport's all time greats -- think John Newcombe, Roy Emerson, and Rod Laver.

Australia's place in tennis history has earned it the privilege of hosting the year's first major. The Australian Open, as the tournament is called, has increased in stature in recent years, boasting such champions as Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi. In this year's Open, though, tennis's old guard took a back seat to Roger Federer.

Last year, Federer proved that he is one of the most talented players in tennis history. This year, he has the opportunity to prove that he possesses the mental and physical stamina required to stand among the likes of Laver, Emerson and Sampras.

Whether or not Federer takes his place with the sport's all-time greats is a matter of some debate. However, thanks to Marat Safin, the Switzerland native will not win this year's Australian Open. As John Newcombe pointed out earlier in the event, if there one man who can match Federer's overwhelming talent, it is Safin. The big Russian is large, powerful, and quick. In fact, there is only one flaw to his game -- he is completely insane.

Safin is as likely to lose in the first round of a major as he is to win the whole tournament, but, in recent months, he has shown increased patience and less of those on-court antics for which he is known. Ultimately, it was the Russian's newfound sense of inner peace that won the day. Smashing only one racquet along the way, Safin stunned the Melbourne crowd, knocking off world's number one five hard-fought sets.

Behind Safin, Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt are the two remaining contenders. This Australian Open marks the first major in a long time in which Andy Roddick has not dominated a large share of the spotlight and attention. With all the talk resting squarely on Federer's shoulders, the gutsy American has quietly advanced to the semifinals. Roddick possesses the biggest serve and one of the best forehands in tennis. He has desire and ambition. However, his backhand and volley remain liabilities, and the rubbery surface used in Australia is not Roddick's best.

Lleyton Hewitt, who plays Roddick next, has shown since last year's Wimbledon that although he lacks the power of most top ten players, his determination is second to none. Besides his iron will, Hewitt is the quickest player on tour and can run down just about any ball thrown his way. Among his other strengths, Hewitt will have hordes of crazy Australian fans at his side, which could provide the adrenaline boost he will need to win.

Each athlete has his strengths and weaknesses, but, when all is said and done, expect Roddick's weapons to carry him into the finals, not that it will really matter. Regardless of the outcome of the Hewitt-Roddick match, neither player possesses the depth of talent required to beat Safin.

The female side is far less clear cut. Lindsay Davenport, Nathalie Dechy and Serena Williams remain, and among these players, look for Serena Williams to take it all.

Yesterday, Williams battled defending Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova and walked away victorious. Behind Federer, Sharapova's game is the most aesthetically pleasing in tennis. She possesses a strong backhand and wields a great deal of power off the serve, but, in the blistering heat of Rod Laver Arena, Williams proved too strong all around.

Behind Williams, the second pick would have to be Lindsay Davenport. Currently the top ranked woman in the world, Davenport commands the cleanest strokes in women's tennis and probably the most powerful. Expect Davenport to move Nathalie Dechy around the court during their semifinal match, though controlling the rally against Williams will be a much taller task. Davenport is slim and fit but will never boast the foot speed of her peers.

After almost two weeks of breakneck action, the pieces have finally taken their place. Three women and three men remain, confident in their respective games and hungry for a Grand Slam title. Though almost anything can happen in the wild world of professional tennis, this writer is willing to hazard the possibility of public reproach and reveal his picks. Look for Marat Safin and Serena Williams to win it all.