Men's racketeers ride three-match winning streak

The Big Green men's tennis maintains a winning record thus far this season, now standing at 5-3 for the year. Recently Dartmouth has enjoyed considerable success, winning its last three matches against St. Bonaventure, UConn and Boston College, despite losing two early matches to Tulsa and Oklahoma State.

The team began the winter season with a trip to America's heartland, heading down to Tulsa, Oklahoma, Jan. 31. There the men's team dropped a match to 48th-ranked Tulsa in a 5-2 defeat.

Dartmouth was able to pick up two wins, both in singles play, led by No. 2 Drew Dinkmeyer '04's three set, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 victory. Mark Brodie '07, playing at the No. 5 position, was also successful in his three set campaign, winning 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Dartmouth remained in Tulsa to take on 20th- ranked Oklahoma State Feb. 1. Despite the eye-soaring corn, the Big Green was unable to leave the state with a win, fallling 6-1.

Dartmouth's sole victory came at the No. 2 doubles position where seniors Borko Kereshi and Jesse Paer defeated their opponents in an exciting 9-7 win. Kereshi also played an impressive singles match at No. 3, losing the first set in a tiebreaker, and ultimately the set 7-6, 6-2. The Big Green's freshmen continued to show their strength as No. 6 David Waslen '07 went three sets before succumbing, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4.

Returning to the good ol' Granite State proved to revitalize the team, as they picked up three consecutive wins at the Boss Tennis Center. The first came Feb. 9 against St. Bonaventure in a 6-1 victory. Dartmouth swept singles at the Nos. 2-6 positions, as Dinkmeyer, Mark Brodie, Kereshi, Travis Maiers '07 and Priya Sahu '05 each dominated their opponents.

Dartmouth's doubles were equally successful as No. 1 Neal Bobba '04 and Dinkmeyer prevailed 8-6, while their teammates Paer and Andres Reyes '05 won in a decisive 8-2 match.

The Big Green men's tennis team continued their success straight through Winter Carnival weekend where they stunned the University of Connecticut this Saturday, sweeping all seven matches, followed by an equally decisive victory on Sunday in a 6-1 win over Boston College.

After his contribution to the Big Green's victories by knocking off Brian Ravesloot 6-0, 6-1, Reyes remarked that "the weekend was a great way to build up the team's confidence after a disappointing trip to Tulsa."

Dartmouth's domination was evident early into their three doubles matches against UConn. At No. 1, the freshman pair of Brodie and Waslen easily defeated UConn's top team of Andy Sweatt and Sam Sutherland 8-2. Likewise, the No. 3 duo of Logan West '05 and Rashaad Elder-Bush '06 effortlessly defeated their opponents Matt Stinson and August Vorvis 8-0.

Perhaps the most exciting match of the day occurred at the No. 2 doubles position held by Maiers and Steve McGaughey '07. After leading by a break well into the match against UConn's Brian Ravesloot and Joel Gamoran, Maiers and McGaughey were finally broken, evening the score at 7-7.

Fortunately, the pair kept their composure, regaining their lead after a beautiful lob by Maiers. Now it was Maiers' turn to serve for the set. However, UConn made the freshmen earn their victory, as it took a total of seven deuces before Maiers and McGaughey could call it a day at with a 9-7 win.

The No. 1 singles match of Bobba against Matt Stinson was also exciting. Bobba took the first set 6-2 with ease. Stinson proved to be more of a challenge in the second set, taking Bobba into a tiebreaker. Bobba's dominance was confirmed as he defeated Stinson in the tiebreak 7-4.

Dartmouth swept the remaining five singles matches, with each of the Big Green winning in straight sets.

Dartmouth's triumph continued with its solid 6-1 victory against Boston College on Sunday. The Big Green took five out of the six single matches against the Eagles, and two out of the three doubles.

Dartmouth's young team was again impressive as Maiers dominated his opponent, Paul Colahan, at the No. 4 spot 6-0, 6-0. Waslen, playing at No. 5, also showed his persistence as he defeated his opponent Derrick Chou in three sets, 7-6, 2-6, 6-2.

Maiers was happy with his performance, commenting that "the matches this weekend went extremely well. It was great to come away with two convincing wins and to see the depth we have as a team in both singles and doubles. But we still have a lot of matches to go with spring break in California and Ivy season right around the corner."

The weekend proved to be just what the Big Green needed before spring break and the beginning of the Ivy League season. Reyes, agreeing with Maiers, said "This weekend gave the freshman more playing experience, and all around made everyone more match-tough for the upcoming Ivy games"

The Big Green will try to extend its winning streak Saturday, Feb. 28, when it hosts Colgate in a 1:00 p.m. match at the Boss Tennis Center.