SA plans students' rights cards

Citing students' complaints of excessive force and privacy violations from Safety and Security and Hanover Police, the Student Assembly intends to publish cards listing students' rights.

The cards will clarify students' rights as both students of the College and as residents of Hanover.

The Student Organizations Committee, under the aegis of Ralph Davies '05, Todd Rabkin Golden '06 and Lisa Warren '07, initiated the project to establish better channels for the reporting of possible rights infringements.

"We aren't trying to be critical of campus and local police; they're doing a great job," Davies said. "We are trying to stress that there needs to be a clearer channel where students can report rights violations."

Brett Martin '04 also examined the issue of wages for student workers at Dartmouth.

The average wage at the College is $7 to $7.50 per hour, while the minimum wage at Dartmouth is $6.25 per hour. Martin contrasted these figures to those at other Ivy League schools, including Yale. There, the average wage is $10.35 per hour, according to the Ivy Council.

Seventy percent of student jobs on campus are set aside for work-study students, who comprise 50 percent of the student body, Martin said. This leaves only 30 percent of jobs for the 50 percent of students who are not eligible for work-study.

With this information in hand, Martin plans to organize a consortium next month where various workers on campus can share complaints and suggestions on wages.

Tommy Woon, Dean of Pluralism and Leadership, paid a visit to the Assembly last night in hopes of encouraging discussion of bias and hate incidents. Woon informed Assembly members of a system in the works that will establish a protocol for reporting bias incidents.

Woon is in the process of revamping a Web site created last spring that has provoked little response from students. The updated site will allow students to report bias incidents and then receive a response from the Office of Pluralism and Leadership based on their filed report. It will also include access to documented incidents from the past ten years.

Woon also plugged a dinner the Office of Pluralism and Leadership is sponsoring Thursday to discuss the experience of first-generation college students.

The dinner, which may feature a visit from President James Wright, a first-generation college graduate himself, will take place in Brace Commons from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Other matters of business included continued discussion of the Kresge Expansion Group to expand the size of the College's fitness center and a potential Greek information panel for underclassmen and non-affiliated upperclassmen.

The Assembly meeting was held in Carson 60.