Rose deserves no Hall of Fame bid

The last brick came tumbling down on Jan. 3. A protective wall that had a taken a lifetime to erect was finally gone, and behind it we found a man prostrate before the nation. He spoke quietly, asked for forgiveness and offered his sincerest apology to anyone that happened by.

This is what Pete Rose would have us believe. Debatably, the greatest hitter the game has ever known is asking to be forgiven for 15 years of deceit and dishonesty and above all to be reinstated into the game from which he has given (and taken) so much.

Since the release of the Dowd Report in 1989, Rose has lived under the shadow of "baseball's ultimate sanction, lifetime ineligibility," in the words of former Commissioner of Baseball Bart Giamatti, and wants nothing more than to be freed of this onerous label.

The truth about this final confession is far more sinister, malicious and transparent than anyone could have imagined. When an entire nation holds a man in such low esteem, it takes a truly abominable deed for that person to be considered to have done something out of character. Pete Rose's latest stunt in his crusade for re-instatement and enshrinement in the Baseball Hall of Fame was just that.

By admitting to betting on baseball on television and in print, he naively believes our country will buy his act of contrition in spite of the overwhelming evidence that this act is no more than shameless promotion for his forthcoming book.

You would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't recognize Pete Rose as money hungry. For years now he has set up shop at Cooperstown to sign anything that comes his way for the paltry sum of 20 bucks. A story has been circulating recently that, when approached by a six-year-old in downtown Cooperstown requesting a signature, he snapped that the boy should have his father ask and to have his wallet handy.

There is little doubt that his greed is indicative of a deeper problem, his addiction to gambling. That the addiction is part of the sad story that is his downward spiral is undeniable, and that it is equally unforgivable is clear to me as well.

In his "Primetime Thursday" interview on ABC with Charles Gibson, in which he first admitted in person to betting on baseball while managing the Reds in 1987 and 1988, he couldn't come to grips with the fact that he had done something to shake the integrity of America's purest game. He repeatedly apologized for taking so long to admit yet admitted that he "never thought he would get caught" or that the punishment would be so severe. He claims to be a changed man, yet he still bets frequently on horses and other professional sports.

Rose would also have us believe that his admission's coinciding with the announcement of the election of Paul Molitor and Dennis Eckersley to the Hall of Fame is coincidental.

It is truly a shame that the highest honor that can be bestowed upon these two men has been tainted and overshadowed by a man who would so very much like to join them. Molitor and Eck, two men who both overcame addictions of their own, were more than a little "miffed" at the actions of a man who at this point should be contrite.

When Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's record for career hits in his hometown of Cincinnati on Sept. 11, 1985, the crowd stood and roared for nine minutes. Pete Rose, nicknamed "Charlie Hustle" for his trademark headfirst dive and blue-collar work ethic, came to play everyday, and the fans loved him for it. He is the holder of dozens of records, and, in the pantheon of baseball gods, he belongs near the top.

His body of work however may not be enough to sway even his staunchest supporters. ESPN's Peter Gammons has long maintained that, if current Commissioner Bud Selig ever lifted Rose's ban, he would cast a vote in Rose's favor. Gammons recently released a statement that such an offer no longer stands.

Many current Hall of Famers have said they would be ashamed to have Rose counted among them. Some have gone so far as to say that they will not return if he is elected, as Monte Irvin declared after hearing the admission.

However, perhaps the most accurate assessment of Pete Rose's future came from neither a lawyer nor a baseball player. Sportswriter Jack Lang, a member of the Hall of Fame, said, "Does he belong in the Hall of Fame? Yes. Does he deserve it? No."