ECAC play to heat up lady icers

The women's hockey team has amassed an impressive 3-1-1 record in five tough games since Nov. 28. But the polls still ill-treat the Big Green, as Dartmouth has fallen to number three in the nation, overtaken by ECAC and Ivy rival Harvard. The rest of the season looks to be no less difficult as nine of Dartmouth's next 13 regular season games will be on the road, including a two-game series at No. 1 Minnesota.

Over Thanksgiving break, it was the other team from Minnesota -- the Bulldogs of Duluth -- that came to Thompson Arena for a two-game series. Despite out-shooting and out-playing its opponent, the Big Green was only able to garner a split on the weekend. The victory in the second game snapped Big Green's four-game losing streak against the Bulldogs. It was also revenge for last year's Final Four match-up, where Duluth knocked Dartmouth out of the national title contention.

After taking a two-week break for finals, the team played three games while the rest of the campus left Hanover for winter vacation. While the offense was able to mount a comeback against UNH for a 4-2 victory, it was anemic in a scoreless tie against Mercyhurst. The tie was the first in two years for Dartmouth, and it gave room for Harvard to sneak into the number two spot in the polls.

The Big Green started the new year with a rematch against UNH Saturday night. The team looked sluggish in the first half of the game, but freshman goalie Christine Capuano kept the score close at 0-1 with a flurry of big saves. The offense responded halfway through the second period. Caroline Ethier '07 broke through with her first collegiate goal at the 7:19 mark. Katie Weatherston '06 added the would-be game winner later in the second period, and Dartmouth went on to a 4-1 victory.

As all of the games over break were against non-conference opponents, Dartmouth remains undefeated in ECAC play, tied with Harvard, St. Lawrence, and Colgate atop the standings. Next weekend the Big Green will begin a crucial stretch of conference match ups. First on the slate are Brown and Harvard, two huge nemeses that have thwarted Dartmouth's national title hopes numerous times in the past.

The Big Green will rely on its third-ranked offense that averages 4.33 goals a game and the solid play of all three goalies, who have combined to allow 1.74 goals per game. With strong performances in January, Dartmouth could take back the number two spot from Harvard before meeting No. 1 Minnesota in early February.