Michelle Deloison-Baum

Articles

Students share personal anecdotes at discussion

In a dimly lit room in Casque and Gauntlet on Monday, students sat in a circle of couches eating pulled pork sandwiches and discussing life at the College versus life in the "real world." The event, titled "Dartmouth and The Real World': Negotiating the Gap," was one of the weekly dinner discussions hosted by Women's Forum, a group that focuses on creating a safe space to foster dialogue of different issues on campus. Maia Matsushita '13 told personal stories and spoke about her views on the transition between life at Dartmouth and beyond. Matsushita said Dartmouth is defined by the people who attend.

Dartmouth to affiliate with WRC

The College has approved a proposal to join the Worker Rights Consortium, an independent organization that monitors labor rights practices of factories that make university-related apparel.

01.09.12.news.dds

Second bias incident reported

Josephine Coury / The Dartmouth Staff Two students were targeted and verbally harassed in the Class of 1953 Commons on Wednesday, according to a campus email from Interim President Carol Folt and Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson. This incident marks the second bias incident reported this week, following racist graffiti scrawled in the Choates residential hall cluster on Saturday. The incident occurred during lunchtime in '53 Commons, according to Justin Anderson, director of media relations for the College. "Two students reported that another student walked by them, made eye contact and verbally harassed them by speaking gibberish that was perceived to be mock Chinese," he said. The students went to the Office of Pluralism and Leadership, where they were encouraged to report the incident through Maxient, an online program, Anderson said. Upon receiving the information, Safety and Security immediately contacted the students and launched an investigation to identify the perpetrator. Efforts to respond to bias incidents on campus are conducted through the Bias Incident Response Team, according to OPAL director Alysson Satterlund.

1.16.13.news.programmingboard.courtesyof

Budget, venue affect PB concerts

Sujin Lim / The Dartmouth Senior Staff Programming Board, which has not hosted a large concert since Avicii came in Winter 2012, plans to bring a "popular" artist to campus this Spring term, according to Programming Board public relations executive Zakia Lghzaoui '13. While some peer institutions have had more success inviting major artists to campus each year, each university's ability to bring in performers varies based on venue options, location, budget and reputation. Members of Programming Board have decided not to host a winter concert because of the difficulties involved in securing an indoor venue with enough space for the entire student body, director Alex Martin '13 said. "Leverone is used year-round by various sports groups and as far as we've been told, it is hard to convince these teams to let us borrow the field for the two plus days it takes to get concerts of this scale set up," he said.

University of New Hampshire history professor Eliga Gould offered an alternative take on the American Revolution in a lecture Monday afternoon.

Gould highlights Treaty of 1783

Nushy Golriz / The Dartmouth Staff Although the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are often upheld as the nation's founding documents, little attention is paid to the third founding document, the Peace Treaty of 1783, Eliga Gould, history professor and department chair at the University of New Hampshire, said in a lecture on Monday.

Daily Debriefing

A study conducted by the Community College Research Center at Columbia University's Teachers College found that "College 101" courses that aim to improve students' skills and improve graduation and retention rates need to adopt more specific strategies to be successful, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported.

10.23.12.news.sarner

Alternative social space opens with successful events

Tracy Wang / The Dartmouth Staff Since its opening in September, Sarner Underground has been a venue for social events including concerts and a dance party co-hosted by Student Assembly, Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority and Chi Heorot fraternity on Saturday.

Plans for ninth sorority tabled due to objections

Plans for establishing a new sorority on campus have been tabled, even though Panhellenic Council was previously considering adding a new house, according to Panhell President Sarah Wildes '13.