Elliot Olshansky and Jennifer Thomas
The Setonian
News

Students rally to save swim team

Nearly 150 students gathered outside Parkhurst Hall at noon yesterday to protest Monday's announcement that the College plans to cut the men's and women's varsity swimming and diving programs in March 2003. Both Dean of the College James Larimore and Athletic Director Joann Harper listened to student concerns while stressing the necessity and finality of the decision. Their emphasis that the subject was closed has left some community members looking toward the future of swimming and diving at Dartmouth. Some have raised the possibility of funding the teams through alumni donations. "If there's anything that Dartmouth alumni have proven, it's that they're generous with their wallets," former swim team member Chris Whalen '97 said in an interview. Whalen said that he was frustrated that the administration did not seek out alumni donations before deciding to discontinue the team, and that, if asked, he would "absolutely" contribute to the cause. Richard Petty '97, another former team member, said that team loyalty inspired by swim coach Jim Wilson would provide added incentive for giving. Harper, however, did not see the option as viable in the long term.

More articles »