The Creepiest Places on Campus

By Lucy Tantum | 9/30/15 6:32am

Choates study rooms
Choates study rooms, located on the basement level of each building, contain hard wooden chairs, exposed pipes and zero windows. This may seem fine, but look closely at the walls — the Bissell study room features some extremely creepy art. There are black-and white photos of an old carousel horse, a black cat and a masked man staring directly at the camera. The study rooms strike a perfect balance between mental-asylum-aesthetic and horror-movie-chic, if you’re into that.

Gilman Life Sciences Center
From afar, the entrance to Gilman appears unassuming enough, if a bit decrepit. As you get closer, though, you might notice something strange — there are spiders everywhere. There are spiders on the windows, on the door handles and likely right above your head. Gilman is closed and seems abandoned, which is probably a good thing — who knows what’s lurking behind those locked doors?

Cemetery
Rumor has it that Eleazar Wheelock is buried here, along with many former Dartmouth presidents and students. There are around 1,200 graves in the cemetery, according to Ask Dartmouth. Enclosed by trees and greenery, the cemetery could actually be a good place to hang out during the daytime. It’s also the shortest route between the River Cluster and FoCo. Just try not to think about what’s below your feet.

Pathway next to the Hop
Next to the archway between the Hop and the Visual Arts Center, you might notice a small pipe sticking out of the ground, spewing steam into the air. The steam lends an eerie ambiance to the pathway, and raises several questions: Where is the steam coming from? Is it safe to breathe? Could it keep you warm in the winter if you stood over it? No matter the answer, the pipe will definitely make your walk to the VAC a bit more steamy.

Stacks Annex B
As you descend into the bowels of Baker-Berry Library, you’ll notice that the atmosphere becomes darker, colder and quieter. Annex B, at the very bottom of the stacks, is dimly lit and tomblike. If you stay in Annex B for too long, you might begin to forget what sunlight feels like, you might begin to wonder what could be hiding in the towering stacks around you or you might just be in Math 13. The one advantage — it’s a great place to avoid facetime at all costs.

Lucy Tantum