6 Sunshine-Filled Activities Near Campus
1. Tan on the Green Nothing will make you feel more like the quintessential Dartmouth student. Not only is the Green super facetimey, but you’re also getting a tan after becoming ghostly pale over the dark winter. Bring work if you want people to think you’re studious, or just take a nap under the pretense that you don’t have any.
2. Go canoeing/kayaking Summon your inner rower and head down to the Ledyard Clubhouse to rent a canoe or kayak. You can row to one of the river’s College-owned islands to have a snack or explore one of the DOC cabins, or just float along. If you’re lucky you can get a new profile picture of out it that makes you look attractive, crunchy and really happy.
3. Hike literally anywhere. As we can see from practically all directions when strolling through campus, New Hampshire and Vermont are FILLED with mountains. Persuade a friend with a car to accompany you and hike up one of them. Bonus points if you find one with a watering hole or take a classic selfie at the top of the Gile fire tower.
4. Have a picnic by the Connecticut. It’s a struggle we’ve all faced — plastic FoCo container in one hand and cold cup in the other, we awkwardly walk through the outdoor seating area at Collis, wondering where to sit. Luckily, there’s a nice seating area past the Ledyard bridge with a prime view of the river and ample seating space. And the best part — since you’re off-campus, the chance of seeing someone you’d prefer to avoid is nearly zero.
5. Swim in the Connecticut. Yes, it’s cold, and no, it doesn’t get warmer if you stay in longer. But aren’t we the same people who eagerly jumped into Occom Pond in February? Just watch out for the crew team’s racing boats and/or rogue kayakers — you still have to take your finals.
6. Go to Ice Cream Fore-U. Now that humidity and heat have hit, we need a way to cool off, and what better way to do that than with food? When Collis smoothies and FoCo froyo get old, hit up that friend with a car and make them bring you to Ice Cream Fore-U. It’s affordable and tasty, and really, what screams warm weather more than ice cream?