Picks of the Week: Songs to Take You Back

By The Dartmouth Web Staff | 4/24/15 11:50am

Each week, Dartbeat asks a group of musically inclined students to recommend their favorite songs of the week according to a particular theme. This week we focus on songs to take you back in time and bring up waves of nostalgia. With the third (and largest) Dimensions weekend here, you’ve probably found your mind wandering to those first days setting foot on campus. Let these songs travel down memory lane with you!

[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T-PNcEOI-A[/embed]

Dirty South — With You (Jai Wolf Remix)

Tiantian Zhang: Dimensions 2012 was prime. It was a balmy 70 degrees, the sun never stopped shining and the green was alive with grass and frisbees and people lounging around. I'll never forget the sparks I felt when I pulled in on the Dartmouth Coach and saw Baker tower, watched people walk around in pastels and had a lick of Morano Gelato for the first time. Walking around campus this weekend makes me yearn for those warm, truly spring days and the Hanover that buzzed with activity and excitement, and this song makes me dream of times when life was simpler (high school was a breeze compared to the academic rigor here!!!) and traversing the green seemed magical.

[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPoIznBujEA[/embed]

Sleigh Bells — Crown on the Ground

Samantha Webster: This is objectively not a good song. If I'm really thinking about it, it's quitepossible that you will get a migraine from listening to this song at any higher-than-quiet volume. But that's not the point. The theme this weekis nostalgia, and nothing is more nostalgic for me than thinking back to First-Year Trips. If you haven't experienced the same phenomenon for yourself, this song was used by H-Crooto wake us up at 5:45 a.m. on the second day of Trips — because that makes sense right? I was actually reminded of this song last night when it came on in the middle of a pong game and everyone at the table started head banging to the memories. Anyway this song is actually quite great for the gym, or the basement, or angrily driving down a highway or for anyone who just wants to relive the adrenaline rush that came fromtrying to dance with the 100 people on your Trips section that you've never met while also trying to make your trip leader think you're cool.

[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrp9RLVAUgs&spfreload=10[/embed]

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons —December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)

Maya Poddar: Let’s be clear: I am not nostalgic for the 60s (or for the 70s when this song came out). I like contacts and the internet and streaming television services too much to ever want to live in the past, but this bouncy little tune by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons reminds me of cooking group dinners with my friends. It’s a charmer of a song, nostalgic even for its era, that somehow seems to make everything more sepia toned, and nothing is more nostalgic that sepia.

The Dartmouth Web Staff