Top Five: DVDs at Jones Media Center

By Josh Koenig, The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 3/4/15 6:55am

Here @Dartbeat, we know just how hard it can be to get outside during the winter months —particularly with temperatures plunging as low as they have in recent weeks. Of course, for avid fans of “House of Cards” —and for those content to run through the selection on Netflix, Hulu+ and everywhere else you can find films online nowadays — staying inside may seem like a blessing in disguise. But for those who have lost their friend’s mom’s cousin’s Netflix password, or still haven’t figured out all the alternate meanings of the word “torrent,” the snow can feel confining. Luckily, there is hope. Unbeknownst to many, Dartmouth’s own Jones Media Center boasts a well-stocked collection of DVDs —available to any student with borrowing privileges.

As a faithful guide to Dartmouth's nooks and crannies, Dartbeat would never send our readers off to delve into this seemingly endless collection without a helping hand. So, lest you spend your last moments of freedom before finals scouring through “what movie to watch” posts online, we’ve highlighted five can’t miss picks that might be useful in filling these last few cold days of winter. Let us know what we missed?

Widely acclaimed as one of the greatest films to ever grace the silver screen, Orson Welles’ “Citizen Kane” is also undoubtedly one of the best movies you can find in the depths of the Jones collection. While its 119-minute length may make it a bit long for a casual study break, it’s a surprisingly easy watch for a classic. Want to finally understand the end of that viral Shia Labeouf video from this fall? Give “Citizen Kane” a watch, and pay close attention during any scenes at the opera.

2. Frozen (2013)

Ah, yes. No list of films compiled this winter would be complete without a reference to the Disney animated classic that has been convincing us all to “let it go” for the last two years. If you’re like me and still haven’t seen this film — despite the guidance of all of your friends, family and LinkedIn connections —find a time to check it out. Sadly, Jones doesn’t have the karaoke sing-along version, but with any luck my Kickstarter campaign will fix that soon.

3. Casablanca (1942)

Adding a touch of romance to any winter evening, “Casablanca” remains one of the most beloved films ever to leave a Hollywood studio. Spawning such classic lines as “Play it again, Sam” — which is actually never uttered in the film —or “Here’s to looking at you, kid,” this film will certainly leave you with a witty first line. Sure, “of all the under 30 proof alcohol joints in all the towns in all the world” may not translate quite as well as I hoped to a Dartmouth setting, but I dare you not to get at least a little teary-eyed at the film’s end.

4. The Intouchables (2011)

A recent French classic, “The Intouchables” has already been incorporated into Dartmouth curriculum, and as a result it’s currently on reserve for French 3 classes. That said, it’s still available to be rented by the general student population provided it’s viewed quickly —and it’s well worth carving out the time in your schedule to do so. Comic and touching in equal measure, “The Intouchables” will warm its way into your heart —just like the thought of spring break.

5. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Capping off a rather eclectic list, “Beasts of the Southern Wild” features the youngest best-actress nominee in Oscar history —Quvenzhané Wallis — in a role that won her not only critical acclaim but also fans across the globe. Set far away from wintery Hanover, “Beasts of the Southern Wild” might bring some warmth into your life —and is well-worth watching after I return it.

Josh Koenig, The Dartmouth Senior Staff