FoCo Joe: “Mrs. Fields” Cookies

By Joseph Kind, The Dartmouth Staff | 1/20/15 12:08pm

I honestly don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner. I have been so blind.

This week, when deciding what to make for my column, I asked two friends of mine what kind of dessert they wanted me to make. They both told me that I would need to avoid dairy products — no ice cream, no milk, no yogurt…no fun, basically. That’s when it hit me. My body has let me enjoy the consumption of dairy products without any physical repercussions for my whole life, and as a result, I did not realize how often I rely on dairy products both in my day-to-day meals and in the desserts I make for this column. In order to expand my own dessert horizons —and in order to reach a wider audience than my column has ever reached before — I would need to put these products to the side. Avoiding dairy was my perfect challenge.

Here’s how I made this astoundingly simple treat:

Step 1: Grab a FoCo cookie and a small plate.

Step 2: Grab a cupcake with the frosting color of your choice.

Step 3: Using a knife, slice the frosting off the cupcake and place it onto the cookie. It is more than okay to get as little of the cupcake as possible since the frosting only needs to stay in one piece for presentation purposes. That being said, this is still the hardest part! Try it if you don’t believe me.

Step 4: If you are concerned about wasting the remainder of the cupcake, use it for a special 2-in-1 feature by filling the cupcake with Oreo topping for another delicious dessert — an Oreo Cake! Leave the wrapper on the cupcake to maximize eating pleasure.

Step 5: Consume your creation(s) using your hands, or a fork and knife.

Although the “Mrs. Fields” cookie and its cousin the “Oreo Cake” still contain small portions of dairy, accolades from my friends included such memorable reviews as “Wow, this is really good!” and “I really enjoyed that!” I also have to say that this concept seems as if it might work with many different types of frosting, not just the special-edition frosting on offer at FoCo this Monday. I will likely do some personal research into this topic and will report my findings in a future column.

Happy midterm season!

Joseph Kind, The Dartmouth Staff