Experiential Learning: A Visit to The Chocolate Shop

By Caitlyn Karol | 1/14/15 2:32pm

Courtesy of Christyn Karol / via instagram.com

Last week, The Dartmouth reported on the open ing of a new chocolate store, My Brigadeiro, in Hanover. This week, in a desire to leave no chocolate stone unturned, we sent a reporter to The Chocolate Shop , Hanover’s other chocolate emporium, located on 3 Lebanon Street. What follows is an account of our reporter’s trip.

With the winter season in full swing, I have come to find that the pleasure of my day often varies directly compared to the work I’m willing to put into exploring the outdoors. While it is tempting to hide away in my dorm until the sun decides to start working again —sometime around June, I think —I’ve found it’s even more tempting to get outside and find a way to enjoy what I love. And one of the things I love, I must admit, is chocolate. So when Dartbeat asked me to visit The Chocolate Shop in Hanover, I jumped at the chance.

In all honesty, The Chocolate Shop has always been a favorite place of mine. Disappointingly, however, it has come to my attention that many people —my editor included —do not even know that The Chocolate Ship exists. It does, and it is located deep in the heart of Hanover on 3 Lebanon Street, a right turn past Starbucks and a flight of stairs above the Orient.

Whenever I walk into the shop, I am always surprised by its ability to house so many wonderful chocolate assortments in such a small space. It is, for lack of better words, a small shop, but there are those who love it. Personally, I think its size contributes to the impact of its entryway, allowing customers to be overwhelmed in the best way imaginable by all of its delicious treats. My eyes usually go straight to the milk chocolate pecan turtles on display — my personal favorite. I usually end up ordering one before changing it to two — when it comes to chocolate, one is never enough.

From there, my eyes often gaze over all of the truffles, bark and bonbons until they fix on the chocolate covered pretzels. I order five. Then I change it to ten because I’ll definitely share them, right? Maybe not. I move on to the candy section once my chocolate needs are satisfied. Could it be? A giant rainbow lollipop with neon swirls and a presence that just emits happiness?!? In my humble opinion, it’s the perfect accessory to carry around in the snow or to give to a friend to brighten up their day.

All in all, I wish more people knew about The Chocolate Store. The employees are friendly, the atmosphere is cheerful and the experience is guaranteed to warm you up. So this winter, don’t stay home. Get out and about!

Caitlyn Karol