FoCo Joe: Chocolate Chip Cookie “Jamwich” with Soft Serve and Shredded Coconut

By Joseph Kind, The Dartmouth Staff | 11/14/14 6:00am

Week nine hit me hard. Normally, I have a pretty clear idea of what I want to make for a dessert before I enter FoCo, or at least a certain craving for chocolate or ice cream, for example. But I am still so hooked on my “Earthquake” dish I wrote about last week.

Today will be the 10th day in a row that I make myself some form of dessert featuring Greek yogurt, cereal, Reese’s Pieces, peanut butter and Nutella. Sometimes it can be difficult to move on, I suppose. Sitting in FoCo, thinking about what I was going to make this week, I perused my recently purchased Windows phone (about which I can write a thrilling novella).

For those of you unacquainted with Windows 8, on Microsoft’s newest software system, apps show up on the home screen as tiles of different sizes. Users can “activate” certain tiles, which makes the tiles flip between a blank tile with the name of the app and a photo with the heading of a new article to read.

I was mindlessly flipping through the apps on the home screen, when a photo of a delicious looking cake on the phone’s pre-installed “Food & Drink” app caught my eye. I couldn’t help but click on the article, and landed upon a slideshow of cakes made all around the world. And right there was the Sacher Torte — a world-renowned cake from Austria. It is basically two rich layers of chocolate cake with a spread of apricot jam in between.

Hmm, I thought to myself (and probably said out loud), What would a FoCo cookie sandwich taste like with jam in the middle?”

And so began this week’s rather spur-of-the-moment dessert, which received very positive reviews from my friends. Praise included “Oh!”and “this is one of the better desserts you’ve made in a while.”

With that, I introduce this week’s dessert creation:

1) Grab two FoCo cookies on a small plate. Temperature and consistency do not matter for this dessert — fresh out of the oven or on the cooler side, they will still taste great in this dessert

2) Head over to the spreads section and choose one of the various jams to spread on top of one of the cookies. I went with strawberry, which I think worked well, but raspberry or even grape could have been interesting. Your call

3) Place the other cookie on top of the jam to complete the “Jamwich,” and head over to the ice cream section, if you want to add something extra. I went with vanilla soft serve, which worked well with this dessert because its thinner consistency made it easier to eat with the Jamwich, but again — your call

1. If you choose to add soft serve, here’s a pro-tip — the meringue-looking mound I made on top of my Jamwich was done by placing the plate very close to the “faucet.” While using the soft serve machine with one hand, hold your plate in the other hand and slowly release soft serve from the machine so it piles on top of itself.

5) Grab a spoon and enjoy!

Joseph Kind, The Dartmouth Staff