Eight Things You Can Find at the Hanover Christmas Market

By Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff | 11/7/14 3:00am

If you attempt to Google “Hanover Christmas Market,” be forewarned that you’ll be directed to an impressive number of pages about a Christmas market in Hannover, Germany, which looks a bit more like this, rather than this familiar scene. But don’t be discouraged! There is still a Christmas market in our town.

Each year the Christmas Market with a Difference, an outreach project of the Church of Christ that began in 1987, comes to campus. This year, the festivities kicked off Thursday at 10 a.m. and continue Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The market features artisanal pieces from all around the world, and all proceeds go back to the 19 organizations and cooperatives featured.

The market fills two large rooms in the church. With everything from ornaments made of magazine pages to beaded sandals, it’s hard to provide any sampling of objects that could represent the wide variety of gifts available. However, here are eight things that caught my eye at the market this year. And even though it’s only just November, put on your favorite holiday songs and break out the good cheer a little earlier this year to get in the spirit.

Mitten garland from Nepal. I refuse to believe that there’s anything cuter than this garland. Hang it over a fireplace if you’re fancy or just on the wall of your room to remind yourself to stay cozy on grey days.

Hanging cranes from Grenada. These handmade cranes are just the thing to lift your spirits from “Bah, humbug” to Buddy the Elf.

Leather elephant from India. This little friend will hold your spare change and introduce an extra burst of happiness into your life all through the cold wintry days.

Paper boxes from Nepal. These are worthy gifts by themselves, but you can also fill them with other trinkets from the market for a beautiful surprise. Plus, you can avoid strenuously trying to copy any Pinterest-inspired wrapping.

Beaded necklace from India. This necklace says “I’m trendy, but effortless.” Be the zen fashionista that you are (or pretend to be a cool yogi with a killer blog).

Jams from Swaziland. Whether you’re a fan of peach and ginger or more of a mango kind of person, infuse your holiday season with some extra bold flavors!

Paintings from Tanzania. Nuzzle up to a loved one with the gift of these adorable giraffes and you’ll be guaranteed a happy holiday.

Baskets from Zimbabwe. Add some pizzazz to your dorm with extra colorful receptacles for snacks, jewelry and any other little things you have lying around.

All photos by Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff.

Jessica Zischke, The Dartmouth Senior Staff