Free Boloco Day

By Lilly Bain | 9/26/14 3:00am

Anyone walking down Main Streeton Wednesdaymust have noticed the huge line extending from the door of Boloco, the chain restaurant specializing in burritos that are either better than or almost as good as Chipotle’s, depending on who you ask. One thing that’s undeniably better than Chipotle, however, is Free Burrito Day, the source of the almost 20-minute wait.

Free Burrito Day has been around for 17 years now, offering mini or small burritos for free, original burritos and bowls for $1 and big bowls for $2. Even customers who chose the mini or small options didn’t leave their wallets at home, though: Boloco was collecting donations for Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungrycampaign, an organization that aims to end child hunger. From the looks of the nearly full collection jar, they were doing quite well, too.

The Hanover location is the 19th of 20 Free Burrito Days this month. The campaign extends to Boston, where Boloco has restaurants near several college campuses, including Northeastern University and Berklee College of Music.

For Bolocos across the region, Free Burrito Day seems to have been a success, raising money for charity and giving college students a reprieve from their daily dining options.​

Lilly Bain